Which tiny whoop?

Discussion in 'Tiny Whoops & Other Micro Quads' started by Dugdog47, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

c575f812-790d-4a5c-baa3-5b5ab9a8e23e.jpg
    Hello friends it's your old buddy dugdog again, back for another installment of "Which quad is best!"

I've narrowed down my search to the Kingkong tiny whoop but I'm undecided on the tiny6, tiny7, or tiny8.

I really like this particular quad because reviews are good and I can get it with a flysky receiver which is AWESOME!

So what say the QF? (Quadcopter forum)

Does anyone have any experience with these tiny quads?​

2. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

I'd think about the Tiny 7x. It's small enough to fly in the house, but should be punchy enough with the 8mm motors to do ok outside with a bit of breeze. Banggood has the BNF version for $64.99 (basic kit) and "advanced" kit for $94.99. They carry the Flysky FS i6x for $49.99.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  3. Dugdog47

Hey thanx Rick. Do you know if the 7x will bind with the regular eachine i6 tx?

4. Rick M

Yes, there are versons available in a variety of protocols. If you buy the BNF version, just be sure it's the FlySky compatible one. FlySky has an older protocol (AFHDS) and a newer one (AFHDS-2A), and the i6X is compatible with both.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  5. Torc the Sinister

Torc the Sinister An inquisitive and barely enlightened RC newbie

Forgive my ignorance.

So, from my reading here, when purchasing a quad, you have to be sure it will work with your particular model of radio?

Dugdog47 likes this.
  6. Dugdog47

Hello Torc, yes when ordering bnf (bind and fly) you choose the receiver that will bind with your tx (transmitter).

Torc the Sinister likes this.
  7. Torc the Sinister

Good to know. I read something that I would need to get an adapter or plug in mid to run a CX-W30 on a Taranis, know anything on this?

Dugdog47 likes this.
  8. Dugdog47

Hmm, interesting concept. You want to run a toy drone on a real tx, I like the idea.

I've never heard of such an adapter but it sounds cool. I wonder if I could get my bugs 3 to bind with my flysky?

9. Torc the Sinister

Mainly because it's the drones I have at the moment, but planning to get a hobby grade in the future as well as working on the partially assembled one I bought. Not a big deal if it won't work.

Got to do something with all those slots.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Dugdog47 likes this.
  10. Dugdog47

I hear ya there bro. Once my Tiny 7 gets here I'll have 3 quads all binded to one controller. This new binding technology is simply amazing!

11. Torc the Sinister

I may look into that Tiny 7. I was going to get an Inductrix in a deal before poop happened and thinking of a Baby Hawk for the hobby grade.

12. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

At least for Taranis, there is something called a Multiprotocol Module for (mainly) toys:
    https://www.banggood.com/Multiproto...X-Transmitter-p-1097688.html?cur_warehouse=CN

There are other modules to support other protocols.

I've got a Tiny 6 on the way. And a AIO FPV cam to attach to my toy quad. I'll likely be ordering one of these modules soon for my toy, because I'd also like to have everything with one controller.

Or, if you order what they call PNP (Plug and Play), then the quad comes with no receiver and you are expected to provide your own. Typically not worth it with these little critters from what I've seen.

I'm also a fan of that BabyHawk, from the reviews I've read. It's on a list with a few others for "next".

Dugdog47 likes this.
  13. Rick M

Be careful about your expectations with multi-protocol modules. They usually have their own onboard antenna which is not famous for good range. Read reviews so you know what you're getting.

One alternative is the Jumper T8SG, which supports an amazing range of protocols including all the major hobby grade plus the majority of toy quads: https://www.banggood.com/Jumper-T8S...1.html?rmmds=search&ID=42482&cur_warehouse=CN

Spork likes this.
  14. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

Yeah my expectations are as about as low as my toy quad's performance :)

I like the concept of the T86G, but then I'd have 3 controllers, taking me in the wrong direction. I don't plan on getting any (or many) more "toy" quads, but I can definitely see that being super useful for someone who has a bigger collection of toy grade quads.

15. Torc the Sinister

A better option than the Qx7?

16. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

17. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

No. He's saying it might be a better option than sticking a multi-protocol module in your Taranis. If your main goal is to fly hobby grade quads, then the QX7 will be great.

18. Torc the Sinister

Not worth the expenditure. I have a tx for it, so I'll just have to be happy with that. :)

19. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

Agree, but if I find that the $9 module works with my quad, I may get it just to not have to mess with replacing batteries in the toy controller.

20. Torc the Sinister

That's where those free battery coupons from Harbor Freight come in useful!

Spork likes this.