When did the first hobby/toy drones appear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stony99, Feb 4, 2019.

1. stony99

stony99 Well-Known Member

You would think with the advent of the internet, I could answer this simple question, but I can't.

When did the first toy drones and hobby drones appear? What was the first toy drone? What was the first hobby grade drone? I am talking about the "standard" X style quadcopter drone!

SURELY someone here can shed some light on this ...... google was worthless! I did not want to know about the Wright brothers pedal powered drone from 1828!

How about the very first Syma or the very first DJI? What company made the very first toy grade drone? How about first good Hobby grade drone? Did the toy grade or hobby grade come first?

2. LoneRCRanger

LoneRCRanger Well-Known Member

Hey, that may be a factual thing; the Wright Brother did invent the first drone, albeit the LiPo battery was years away! Who's to really say, anyways? Just like Chocolate, who invented it the Incas or Hershey?

3. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

R Blakke made one of the first FCB branded the KK , but not sure if it was the first one ever , drones came about at the same sort of time as FBL helis ( fly bar less) 3 axis gyro , then later came the 6 axis gyro , the first toys were China drones like the hubsan x4 , hubsan was making toy helis before drones but now do more drones than helis , willtoy was the other big name in toy helis and drones, but most now do a drone , walkera , align, eflite, DJI started with the phantom they also do really good hand held camera gyro systems
    I may have missed some as I am getting old and forget things lol

mark jackson, GJH105775 and Dugdog47 like this.
  4. LoneRCRanger

Thanks holtneil for getting me out of the pudding...

GJH105775 likes this.
  5. stony99

Any guess as to the year that toy/hobby drones first appeared?

6. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

I would say about 6 years ago for toys then about 6 months later hobby grade took off

7. stony99

Thank you! I appreciate the information!

8. Tentoes

Tentoes Well-Known Member

I had the "Estes ProtoX" in 2014.

9. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Earliest I can remember was Charpu back around the same time 13/14.
    Touted as the best pilot in the world.
    When really he was poo compared to what standard himself & other pilots eventually got to. Haven't seen anything of him for years.. I never got into this till 2015.
    I can't put the hours in I'd like to, even though I've been unemployed.
    Got a new job tday so I can hammer it again with no fear. Looking to get some of the newer kit.
    Need fresh new lipos with kick.

holtneil likes this.
  10. Al Parmer

Al Parmer Member

I had one called the UFO. I think that was in 2005...ish. It was a big foam quad.

11. Al Parmer

Al Parmer Member

12. LoneRCRanger

I fly a quad like a drunken sailor. Got a fixed wing too and fly it like a drunken sailor. Gotta stay away from boats and bars.