What is a good freestyle quad?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Copter kid, May 1, 2018.

1. Copter kid

Copter kid New Member

Looking at getting a new quad and wonders what would be good for freestyle flying. And help would be appreciated

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

3. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

obsession-white-2.jpg
    I like the looks of this frame. Totally awesome!

mozquito1 likes this.
  4. RENOV8R

5. Dugdog47

Does that have a machined aluminum rollcage? The idea of flying around a hunk of unbreakable (hopefully) aluminum is the schnizzle.

6. RENOV8R

7. Dugdog47

8. RENOV8R

I can vouch for the quality of SpaceOneFpv products, I have one of their Formula 220X frames. In fact I just got their Aurora Stretch X a couple days ago, it's sweeeeeet

9. DrAbsurd

DrAbsurd Well-Known Member

Ive got the Armattan Chameleon 6" and 5"Ti. Love them both. For freestyle im leaning more on my 6" frame. The 5" with 2306 Oomph's is snappier and better for fast maneuvers but gives up some smoothness to do it, and it has less free fall catch for some reason. The 6" with 2306 emaxes is just smooth as butter and you can catch yourself consistently in that 2-3 foot from the deck range. You can do it with the 5" but it takes more throttle and makes it harder to stay at the desired height without a little jump.

Gyro Doctor and Dugdog47 like this.
  10. Dugdog47

According to the Armattan website the oomph motors:

"**VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: These motors are assembled in Bolivian caves by hand. The work is carried out by a community of doomsday preppers that hail from the world over. It is said that the first settlers were gifted by the Bolivian God of the forest and have since stopped aging. "

Ah hahaha! That's hilarious

KentA and DrAbsurd like this.
  11. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

That space1 thing above I would definitely shorten the frame standoffs down to 25-30mm or to prop height & top mount the battery but there is no strap holes. Bummer. I'm not a fan of bottom mounted Lipo's unless I have no option like my chimp or egg shaped frames.
    In most cases or best case the lipo Weighs as much as the quad so if you can get that prop online with top plate then better the CG.

12. mozquito1

If I had the option of the 2 pictured above the egg would win & in the spoon race. Same kit on both kwads, the egg wins.;)

13. DrAbsurd

DrAbsurd Well-Known Member

Trust me, you can bend it. Had to take mine off and pound it with a sledge hammer to get both sides straight again.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  14. BL Swagger

BL Swagger Well-Known Member

15. mozquito1

Great for a teaser to get into the hobby but that's about it, the range of the fpv gear will be about 50m @ best.
    I paid £60 just for my first eachine 800's
    & the range was about 150' with an omni set. So I can't see these being any better.
    Great for the house & that's it.

16. RENOV8R

Dugdog47 likes this.
  17. mozquito1

C'mon freestyle is any style quad.
    & that quad is gonna hurt if it hits you.
    Looks like someone put throwing stars on it, ouch....

BL Swagger likes this.
  18. BL Swagger

I agree. Freestyle is how you fly.

Also, I didn't see the original post asking for a frame. Wizard was what I bought, so I could start flying while I started my first build.

RENOV8R likes this.
  19. BL Swagger

20. RENOV8R

Agreed that freestyle is a style of flying but there is a difference between frames. Here's what I consider makes a FS frame different than a racing frame.
    - thicker bottom plate and arms, sometimes up to 5.5mm thick
    -tiny top plate
    -top mount battery
    -longer frame
    -aluminum camera cage

All these things make a FS frame more stable in the pitch & roll axis at the sacrifice of tight carving turns, and also why the FS frames are so much heavier than a race frame. The Chameleon and the Rooster are perfect examples and not to say you couldn't take them to a race but in reality they'd get blown away by a Floss or an X-Hover.

BL Swagger likes this.