Video required? (Noob)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Sean B., Jun 24, 2018.

1. Sean B.

Sean B. Member

Hello,
    Decided to build a quad!! My frame is a Geprc Mark 2-6, now I’m just shopping for the rest of the components.
    My first noob question is: Are the Camera and vtx necessary for the FC to function properly? I was wondering if I could fly line of sight in the beginning just to get the feel of everything and hopefully spare some damage to components, especially if I’m not using goggles right away. I wasn’t sure if the FC uses video at all to control flight. My guess is no, but I just want to be sure!

2. BL Swagger

BL Swagger Well-Known Member

Nope, Cam and VTX are not required to fly line of sight. The newer FCs usually will just provide filtered power to these devices, as well as pads for OSD capability.

Sean B. likes this.
  3. Sean B.

Sean B. Member

Thank you sir!

4. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Best not put any FPV gear on till at least can keep it for a few packs without crashing.

Sean B. likes this.
  5. BL Swagger

Practice on a simulator. DLR or Liftoff are my favorites. I threw FPV gear on my first build. It was eachine gear so wasn't expensive. I find it much easier to fly FPV, rather than line of sight. I will admit I did fly some "toy" grade quads a little bit before I got into the hobby, though.

Also, now with the new Betaflight update... you can use a F4 FC connected with a receiver & bound to your Transmitter as the controller to the simulator.. JBardwell came out with a youtube video on how to do it.

Sean B. likes this.
  6. Sean B.

Sean B. Member

Shoot! I just got some Rf1 gear. I was wondering if you could use the transmitter and other gear for a simulator.

I’ve played with the $25 quads, but nothing else. I could see how fpv would make it easier.
    I have 30 years experience in car racing, so I’m good on the mechanical and electrical end of it, just have to figure out 3D control now.

Also much more involved programming with quads, so that will be a learning curve as well. Part of the reason I went with RF1 as I understand it’s a little more “dumbed down” but works really well.

7. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

What transmitter do you have? As long as it has a trainer port, it should work with a simulator.

8. Sean B.

Sean B. Member

I was planning on Taranis X9D

9. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Diving in head first! Yes, iot just plugs into your computer with USB cable. 2 minute calibration and you're good to go. I like Velocidrone

Sean B. likes this.
  10. Sean B.

Sean B. Member

Thank you, I’ll check that out.

11. Sean B.

Sean B. Member

As far as head first, I’m just so giddy because everything seems so inexpensive compared to what I’m used to!
    It seems like I’m building a fairly decent quad complete with electronics and radio gear for the price that I would pay for a bare car chassis with no electronics or even tires!

12. mozquito1

Easier just to plug your tx to a USB & into a pc. When the weather is bad I PlayStation or tinker. Thought someone would have made a sim for consoles seeing as the sticks are on the pads.

Sean B. likes this.
  13. BL Swagger

I didn't even notice the mini USB on the bottom of my Taranis QX7... hah I went and checked after reading your post. I guess using the F4 FC and betaflight as a middle man, would be needed for a Flysky transmitter though.

14. mozquito1

No the i6 needs just a USB cable & off you go.
    Really I don't know why this was thought up.