To buy a Mavic Pro or wait?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maloley11, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Maloley11

Maloley11 New Member

Hi Guys,

I've got a Phantom 3 Standard at the moment and thinking of upgrading to a Mavic Pro. I was wondering if I should maybe wait and see if DJI release a new drone? I've read a few things that perhaps a Mavic Standard or something could come out. Do you think its worth waiting?

Roggy.d likes this.
  2. esoterik1967

esoterik1967 Member

Mavic Pro? I am new to Quadcopters but familiar with the Bicycle world. Any relation?

3. QuadKid

QuadKid Noth'in Like a Flat Top

4. LoneRCRanger

LoneRCRanger Well-Known Member

In our new "Drone Club", We have several members who own Phantom 3's. A couple want to get the Mavic Pro, but are leary about the price vs. performance over say the Phantom 4.

5. QuadKid

I have 2 Phantom 3 Pro's and have flown a friends Mavic a couple times .
    Things I like about the Mavic

1. Portability.
    2. Sport Mode.
    3. Obstacle Avoidance.
    4. Price Point

Things I don't like about the Mavic

1 Only 2 Axis Camera Gimble
    2. No Expandable HDMI Port for FPV to my Fat Shark Goggles.
    3. The Go App Mavis is very complicated and has many gliches ( Like flying a Main Frame Computer )
    4. Like any other product I would give them a couple of years to work the bugs out with the constant updates required.

All in all The P3P is a very stable camera platform.

6. QuadKid

The P4 is out of production now ( FW is still supported by DJI ) the new 4's are P4 Advanced & P4 Pro

7. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

You could be waiting a long time. I would get it, enjoy it, and update it if the needs arises.

8. Maloley11

Maloley11 New Member

Thanks for your information guys! Going to stick with the Phantom 3 for a while and decide between one of the P4 models and the Mavic Pro :)

9. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

I would not consider getting a P4 unless there is a budget constraint. I would go with the P4P if image quality matters most, and if image quality does not matter then go with the Mavic.

10. LoneRCRanger

I would be more into performance drones, those I can compete with. An P4 would be nice, but I don't see racing with it much. That would be like putting a Mack Diesel Truck against a Shelby Cobra Mustang.

11. peterpan_cake

peterpan_cake Member

Many ask the same question or considering between Mavic Pro and P4, but trust me, Mavic Pro surely worth it... It's more portable and I love the quality of the video. But I'm not sure there's gonna be a Mavic Standard... Just go for the pro!

12. QuadKid

I agree, just bought my first Mavic, awesome quad, video quality is superb, I have been flying the P3P's for quite awhile now and don't notice any difference in photo/video quality once you find the right camera settings. Even has 2x zoom in 720/1080p resolution, Nice feature!

13. LoneRCRanger

Here's a problem with all these drones that take pictures and shoot videos: soon they will be as common place as the Smart Phone with little else to be done with them. They will become all consuming and contribute little to society similar to what Kodak did. Kodak doesn't make camera film any more, by the way. Where can we go with the drones beyond that? If everyone has a camera drone, everything will become "boring" again.

14. QuadKid

Awesome, The Quad, Controller, and 3 batteries fit in my old Cannon camera case perfectly !!

15. QuadKid

That's why we have these !

16. LoneRCRanger

I've seen this before and that's what I]m talking about, something other than being an aerial tripod!