1. NOTICE: We're currently noticing some EMAIL DELIVERY ISSUES to Outlook and Hotmail email addresses. If you're a new member and don't receive your confirmation email, feel free to reach out to us via the contact link at the bottom right of the page.
    Dismiss Notice

Time for calibration?

Discussion in 'Build & Tune' started by Mike5774, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Mike5774

Mike5774 Member

I have a protocol drominum III ap
    Only had it a few weeks. Not a lot of flight time on it. Was flying fine and then took a pretty good run back and left...
    being new to flying them, I assumed that the batteries were going low as I have had some stabilization issues when the batteries were going down. So I recharged and replaced them.. no luck... I went thru the calibration protocol as best it is explained in my users manual... which is about as informative as a passed out drunk who witnessed a crime. Basically it said press the calibration button... then take both controllers out and down and then release them.....
    As you can imagine this did nothing... when I go to take off.. it soars back and left about a foot off the ground and out of control. So my next step was look at the obvious stuff.. no bent props.. they all felt like they were moving freely... however the rear left one..seems to be spinning slightly slower than all the rest.. if u look closely you can see it but it isn't blatantly obvious. This prop issue would explain the direction of the drone when it takes off as if it is spinning slower than it makes sense that the other three would overpower it. And cause the flight issue....
    So here is where I am, I'm not sure if there is a more detailed way to calibrate my machine. Or if the problem is the motor is going bad? Simply put I don't have the knowledge to properly diagnos the issue.
    I'm hoping that with the knowledge here someone has experienced this type issue before and/or can tell me what steps they may take to figure out what would fix the issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

That's where I inspect very carefully. Make sure the gears are free of any debri, it doesn't take much. Those quads also seem to have a problem with shafts bending. I think they come out rather easily so you can pull it and roll it on a piece of glass.

3. Mike5774

Mike5774 Member

I pulled it out. The pin is straight. My son ran it into the mini blinds I am finding out now and this rear left blade came off... so best I can gather... motor appears to be running smoothly, prop isn't bent, however... the little plastic sleeve which attaches on the pin and where the blade screws into... pulls off easily... the other three when I take it apart to this point seem to be more firmly attached to the pin... this leads me to believe that this little plastic cap is stripped out slightly on the inside and therefore not grabbing the pin firmly enough to spin at the same speed as the drive pin is spinning... looks like I am going to be hunting this part down.
    Is something like this a common problem? Or just the nature of the level of drone I own as I know it's more of a begginer

4. Mike5774

Mike5774 Member

Any clue what this part is called? The manufacturer doesn't have it listed in their spare parts catalog basically all they have are props and landing gear.

5. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Best if you posted a couple pics,