Thumbs, Pinch, or Hybrid?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrAbsurd, Jan 20, 2018.

?

How do you hold your stick?

1. Thumbs Only

2. Pinch (thumb and index)

3. Hybrid (thumb on one pinch the other)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DrAbsurd

DrAbsurd Well-Known Member

Im going to make the switch from thumbs to pinch style of stick control. Seems like thumbs only is great for racing but pinch or hybird would be better for ACRO or even HD Video drones. Who does what and why?

2. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

I use thumbs as I find my reactions are faster , this may be due to flying Helicopters for a long time well before quads came along , I did try and change to pinch but could not get on with it , my wife flies pinch she started on quads and now flies Helicopters using pinch , there is no right or wrong it's what you find better for you

3. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

I learned flying with thumbs years and years ago. I believe pinch technique is probably more precise, but I just can't get excited about changing now. When I got my sons started on quads I told them about both techniques and told them to research a bit and decide which way to learn. Both of them fly using pinch.

4. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

I used to "Pinch" the sticks on my old huge Futaba but then later transitioned to thumbs.
    I didn't like the spikes on my Taranis so I got these monster cups (from where I forget) which also shorten the sticks
    and makes it more sensitive and waaaaaay more comfortable too. :)

[​IMG]

5. holtneil

I have seen the cups on eBay and I am sure they did have them on banggood
    It's nice to see a busy man cave Gyro Doc

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  6. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Atari, Sega mega drive, SNES, PS1, 2,3,4
    So I'm a thumb guy.
    When I'm in a flap, I still find when I yaw I either throttle up or down a bit.
    I know if I pinched this wouldn't happen.
    it's changing years of habit. I have tried but it hurt the lower forearm, as I'm gripping the tx where my thumb meets palm & little finger. As opposed to the tx resting on my fingers. I do have a few straps but I don't really bother.
    Im planning on getting the turnigy evolution. So I may try pinching when I get it. I hear it's a bit tricky but my hands ain't that big.

7. LoneRCRanger

LoneRCRanger Well-Known Member

Since I am all thumbs when flying my quad, my thumbs are the go to method...

8. holtneil

mozquito1 likes this.
  9. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

I'm all thumbs.

10. DrAbsurd

Update: Im loving the pinch. I feel more in control and I know it helps with certain problems I was having, like 100% - 0% throttle. Never could keep it all the way down with just my thumb. Now i push it down with my index finger.

11. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

Thumbs. Muscle memory and getting old don't mix to switch to a pinch method.

dragger201 likes this.
  12. DrAbsurd

To clarify I have used my thumbs on controllers since I was 12. Thats 30 years of muscle memory. Years of flying choppers on Battlefield 4, that fly with the same controls, made me hesitant too. By the end of the LOS session I was hooked. After first FPV session im not going back. Can do it with the controller in my lap, from neck strap, even holding it with nothing isnt that hard. I still game so I swap back and forth. Honestly wish sometimes I could pinch my PS4 controller.

13. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

I lengthened the sticks on my FlySky and on many of my toys too.

14. DrAbsurd

Thats what she said!!!

blue79 likes this.
  15. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

Dude if you want to change the functions of an RC controller, make the controllers have a R1 and L1 control yaw.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  16. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

I'm almost always just holding my radios in my hands, so it feels better to me with shorter sticks because that way it's easier to have more grip
    on the radio. :)

17. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Spork likes this.
  18. DrAbsurd

I tried this and they will not let you fly at sonic and the girl took her tray back.

Spork likes this.
  19. holtneil

Spork likes this.
  20. Tentoes

Tentoes Well-Known Member

30-mumble years ago, as an R/C flier, I switched from thumbs to pinch. Found my aerobatics smoother. Now, I always pinch.

DrAbsurd likes this.