Testing for short circuit

Discussion in 'First Build' started by BrooklynMB, May 11, 2018.

1. BrooklynMB

BrooklynMB New Member

Hello all...
    I've just built my first freestyle quad (Skitzo Nova) with the Emax F4 Magnum stack. It's fully built and ready to start configuring BetaFlight etc, but I'd like to test for shorts first before I plug in a battery and smoke it. The battery leads on the Magnum are extremely close, and even though I'm pretty sure there isn't any solder bridging, I'd like to be sure. I can't find my good multimeter and I have this cheap one that only has the resistance setting (no continuity). I'm not sure how I can test for shorts using this method, the ohm setting has only 2 options of "X1k" and "X10". In Joshua Bardwells video, he shows connecting the black lead of the multimeter to the power (red) connector on the xt60 and the red lead to the outer barrel of the sma antenna connector. When I do this, I get a quick jolt (the number jumps toward zero) on the ohm meter and then the resistance settles in the middle of the dial. Am I doing this right? Is there a better test for shorts that I could do with this multimeter?
    Thanks in advance for any help...

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. BL Swagger

BL Swagger Well-Known Member

3. BrooklynMB

BrooklynMB New Member

I know about the smoke stopper. I have the bulb, I'm just waiting for the xt60 connectors to be delivered. That's not what I asked though, I'm asking if there's a way to test for shorts using a multimeter. Thanks

4. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

No you need continuity. As this sends a very minute current throughout the system. All other settings do not.
    They are cheap, best get another.

5. BrooklynMB

BrooklynMB New Member

I found my good multimeter last night. I tested the battery lead in question and there's no continuity. I also tested the resistance and all looks good. I should prob wait until I make my smoke stopper, but I'm impatient and fingers crossed that it'll be fine. Thanks for responding...

6. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to wait. Do it!!

7. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

You would first touch the probes together and note that reading.

mozquito1 likes this.
  8. BrooklynMB

BrooklynMB New Member

I found my good multimeter last night. I tested the battery lead in question and there's no continuity. I also tested the resistance and all looks good. I should prob wait until I make my smoke stopper, but I'm impatient and fingers crossed that it'll be fine. Thanks for responding..
    UPDATE: I couldn't wait...
    Drum roll please...
    No smoke, good to go. I was really worried that even though I didn't have continuity, that somehow there was a tiny bridge of solder on the battery leads. The pads where you need to solder the battery leads to are way too close together on the Emax Magnum F4 stack. I flashed and configured BetaFlight and BLHeli and got it all buttoned up, put some butter cutters on, only to find out that it's gonna rain all weekend.

BL Swagger likes this.