Syma X8G - My most reliable quadcopter

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Gadget Inspector, Dec 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gadget Inspector

Gadget Inspector I could go fishing, but I'd rather fly quads

The only way to really test how good a quadcopter is is to use it over an extended period of time. That is why I can emphatically say that the X8G is my most reliable quad because after multiple uses it is still going strong. I have not even had to replace the motors yet, but those are plug-and-play so super easy to replace.

Part I

I have had zero problems with this quad and I mainly fly it for filming purposes. In light wind conditions, I can get pretty stable and steady video. In windy conditions you have to fly in the high rate, which makes it much more difficult to keep the quad still for steady shots.

Nevertheless, I think the stock camera yields very good quality video and it's just fun to fly this thing knowing it will do what it's supposed to. Find it on Banggood here: http://www.banggood.com/Syma-X8G-2_...adcopter-p-985603.html?p=8729084830960201605L

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  2. Gadget Inspector

Part II
    All flight footage, no blabberation.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  3. Gadget Inspector

Part III
    Doing it funky style this time. I'm getting better and better at holding it steady at high altitude, but there's no avoiding corrections for wind. If this had a gimbal it would be perfectomundo.

4. Gadget Inspector

Part IV
    Whenever I'm driving by and notice a nice park or a neat place to fly, I can quickly pull out my X8G and get it in the air.

5. Gadget Inspector

Unboxing and Quick Flight Test
    I could not wait to get this thing! This is my first large quad after practicing on smaller ones. The 1080p camera quality is pretty good, definitely a step up from the standard 720p 2MP cameras. It has plenty of power to carry pretty much any action camera. I did have to add some foam between the camera and quad to reduce jello. I also balanced the props. Noticed that you cannot take pics while recording video, it will stop the video. It is very stable in low wind conditions, but with wind it does move around a bit so be careful there. I had so much fun with my initial flights and I'm looking forward to planning out aerial shots from high in the sky.

6. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Active Member

A couple questions:

1. Is the only difference between the x8g and the x8c the upgraded camera?

2. Would 8 successful flights be considered enough to call a quad reliable? (That's how many I have with my 8xc)

7. Gadget Inspector

Yep, the camera is pretty much the only difference. I believe everything else (except for color) is basically identical. In my opinion, 8 flights is not quite enough to give the reliable label. How you fly, number of crashes, etc. are variables to consider as well, but in my opinion you need a couple of months of usage or 20-25 flights. I'm still flying with the original motors and this thing performs just like the first day I got it. All brushed motors fail eventually, but the great thing about the X8G is the motors are super easy to replace. Plug and play. This spring I'm planning on putting wider landing gear on and mounting my cheapo action cam. Should be fun. Also, while it's not super fast, this thing is pretty fun to fly full bore. It moves pretty good once it gains momentum.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  8. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Active Member

Yes mine's fairly fast if you ask me, people who know nothing about quads are impressed. On my first flight, a screw that holds one of the motors in came loose and caused damage to the drive gear, so I've already had it completely disassembled and reassembled. I love the fact that no soldering is required to change motors.

9. jmdlcar

jmdlcar Well-Known Member

I seen there were types of power connector. I think they are called "T plug" and "Banana"? I have the Banana type plug. My question is, the Transmitter and the Quad the same in both? Please let me know yes or no in both.

10. Gadget Inspector

The transmitter takes AA batteries. The quad takes 7.4v with the round banana connector.

Attached Files:

11. jmdlcar

jmdlcar Well-Known Member

I have the X8C and I wanted to know if they change the Transmitter and the Quad or is it still same as the older X8C? The picture is the same as mind. I haven't flew it yet because of the weather it even snow on my 69 Birthday today.

12. Gadget Inspector

I'm not sure what you're asking.