Syma X5 question

Discussion in 'Ready to Fly Quads' started by JimC, Sep 29, 2018.

1. JimC

JimC Member

Hi. I am newer than a newbie. Don't even own a quadcopter yet but have been doing some research in books and online. I am leaning toward a Syma X5 model as a first step to learn on but I have a question. I was wondering if someone could tell me the differences between the X5HW and the X5UW? I have looked at the Syma webpage and all the youtube videos I could find but I still can't really see any difference. Thank for any info on these two copters.

Jim

2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

The original X5 is old tech, things have moved on since that. If you want Syma go for a newer one.

3. JimC

JimC Member

Thanks Jackson. I was looking at either the X5HW or the X5UW which I thought, from looking at the Syma website, were the newer ones. Is there something newer than these two that I should be looking at? Thanks again.

4. Jackson

You want to move away from the old style body. Those flimsy shells with a fist full of tiny screws are a nightmare to take apart.
    Looks much better.

FWIW this is hard to beat as a starter, especially at the price. All spares parts available. Quite docile in low for learning and very acrobatic in high (it also has a medium). The contrasting front props really help with orientation and the motors shut down if any undue resistance is felt. Grab a few spare batteries and at that price you can push it hard. Worrying about crashing slows down the learning process. Once you got your muscle memory established you can look for something fancier.
    https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-E3...tml?rmmds=search&ID=22442482&cur_warehouse=CN

Read the reviews.

5. JimC

JimC Member

Yeah, that Eachine looks pretty good. I will have check it out on youtube and at their website. I had never even heard of this company. Thanks Jackson.

6. Jackson

Seems to be affiliated with Banggood.

7. photojunky

photojunky Well-Known Member

I learned on the X5. Still have 2 of them. I crashed them so many times and still they kept on flying. I did have a fly away probably because of a low battery, but 20 bucks later for just the quadcopter, no remote, I was back to crashing it some more. Check out this fun video I made.

8. JimC

JimC Member

Thanks photojunky. The guy running the "Ready, Set, Drone" youtube channel also had high praise for the Syma X5C as a very good learner copter and that is one reason I was looking at them. I don't think that make the 5C anymore and so I was thinking about an X5HW or X5UW but couldn't figure out the difference between the two. Good video by the way!

9. 2Hover

2Hover Member

Though you've received a wealth of information already, I'd like to add my 2 cents as a Syma X5 HW owner-operator. The HW (W for wifi & H - altitude hold) is a newer model than the X5C and a perfectly good machine to learn how to fly on. you'd have to really try to break it in a crash. I haven't been able to get mine to fly away on me. the range is not great, but there are mods so you can fix that later if you want. The flight time is almost 10 min., batteries are cheap- buy a handful! The UW is a newer still model with a different body style and more complicated. It has the ability to fly a route you draw on your wifi device. It's also more expensive. I'm still happy with my HW and
    I'm ready to try some mods to stretch out the range and flight time.

10. JimC

JimC Member

Super information there 2Hover. Now I know what the H and the W mean in X5HW. Do you happen to know what the "U" stands for in the X5UW? Maybe the U has something to do with the ability to draw a route on the wifi, as you mentioned. Any idea what makes it more complicated?

I want to thank everyone again for all the excellent info you all have provided. Great and supportive group. I'm learning alot from you guys which is important to me because my area does not seem to be a drone hotspot.

11. 2Hover

2Hover Member

IDK what the "U" means. There are many comprehensive reviews available , so you can compare x5's.

12. JimC

JimC Member

OK...Thanks 2Hover. The information is much appreciated.

13. mark jackson

mark jackson Well-Known Member

the x5 is a great cheap manual learner I had mine for about 3 weeks then upgraded to a x25pro alt hold gps and more still cheap beginners stuff ........and now want more