syma flight time

Discussion in 'RTF Modification & Repair' started by emjays, Dec 31, 2014.

1. emjays

emjays Member

Can syma xc5-1 flight time be increased by larger battery ie 500 mah to 1200 mah
    if so what type is the 2pin conector on stock battery

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  2. NCFRC

NCFRC North Country Fun RC Well Known Member

I'm testing some 750's as we speak. The stock connector is Syma specific.
    Many convert it over to a std. JST connector which most aftermarket
    batteries have. I'm post the 750 mah tests results.

3. NCFRC

First , this 750mah battery has both a Syma stk and a JST pigtail on it.

Discharge specs ,, 750 nanotech battery - Discharge 726ma , 370 sec's to 3.7 volts. :) :)
    600 nanotech battery - Discharge 570ma , 225 sec's to 3.7 volts
    650 upgrade battery - Discharge 582ma , 200 sec's to 3.7 volts " low voltage "
    600 Tiger stick batt - Discharge 520 ma , 115 ! sec's to 3.7 volts
    500 stk Syma battery- Discharge 482 ma, 190 sec's to 3.7 volts

These were all charged at a 2C rate and a 3 Amp discharge to a cut off voltage of 3.30 volts.

The Turnigy 750 nanotech is the clear choice if you want the highest run time and flight power "voltage " BUT some may be frustrated by the extremely tight fit.
    I'll still say as I have before that the 500 stock Syma batteries are great for a 500 mah cell.

NOTE :::: THE 600 MAH NANOTECH IS NOT RECOMENDED FOR THE SYMA X5 AS IT REQUIRES EXTENSIVE MODIFICATIONS TO THE QUAD TO FIT AS ITS A MUCH LONGER BATTERY

Read below as I've found that the Dromida 700 is a great option for power and additional run time. :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. NCFRC

I'd take two stock batteries and wire them in parallel. You'd double your run time and power ! :)

I've been running the 750 nanotech and by the time it's run out , I'm done so I just leave it in the quad
    and use the extra lead to charge it.

5. NCFRC

What a difference in power in running the nanotech 750 vs. a stk 500 !

I've been getting another X5c ready for my nephew and didn't realize how much better the
    power is untill after running a stock set up.

6. emjays

emjays Member

Thanks for reply and info i will try asap as only flown 3 times and a motor has packed
    up so not happy at mo

7. emjays

emjays Member

Ordered two motors and a set of triple rotors to try

8. NCFRC

I'm going use a Dromida 700 in a X5c-1 that I just received.
    I've got a couple I purchased and they test great at 680-690 mah.

Of the three X5's I've been involved in , I havn't seen one motor failure.
    Save your money on the triple rotors ,,, they work lousy.
    I have 5 sets listed for sale on here for $10.00

9. emjays

emjays Member

Will look into battery bud all back and running now was defo motor bit of a pain
    and after fitting noticed rotors not spinning perfect found only fix was to slide motor out
    and pack away from rotor shaft sliding motor back in all good now and waiting for dry
    non windy day

10. NCFRC

I had a chance to try out " still inside " the X5C-1 and it flies really nice.
    Hard to say , but it seems slightly more stable but more responsive.
    It's supposed to have an upgraded board and radio mods for better range.

I reached in with a heated exacto blade and removed the peg in the rear of
    the battery compartment " the -1 model looks like it's built with this mod in
    mind as the peg is more easily removable and the rear area more open" and
    the Dromida 700 fits perfect, no having to wedge it in and can't get out.
    The only real obstacle is to change the connector to a female JST.
    And then pick up one of these to charge the battery.
    http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-W...-RC-Quadcopter-Parts-Charger-USA-p-52357.html

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  11. Quadcopterflyer65

Quadcopterflyer65 New Member

You mentioned you want to up grade the transmitter. I did that yesterday and I used an old Linksys Router 2.4 Antenna.
    My best friend installed it in about 15 minutes. It fit perfect without having to add anything to it to keep it in.
    It has increased my control distance from 80 meters to 175 meters. As for the antenna inside the copter, we didn't
    mess with it. When I take it straight up in a deep blue sky it's just a dot of white. But I still have control to bring it
    down safely. I also use 680ma batteries and they work well.

12. Quadcopterflyer65

Quadcopterflyer65 New Member

"emjays" You said you ordered some more "Motors"... may I ask where you got them from? I don't need them now
    but might in the future.

13. NCFRC

Bang good .com

Don't waste your money on tri-rotor blades . They work lousy on a Syma X5.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  14. NCFRC

The Dromida 700 battery " after removing the rear peg " fits great , has very good power being a
    25C rated battery and will get you past the 10 min. mark in fight time.
    The only small negatives are that you have to change the quad connector to JST and the cost is
    $12.99 each.

15. Stevo66

Stevo66 New Member

Today I did the remote range extender mod and outfitted my x5c with a 3.7 v 1100 mah lipo went out in front yard of my house got to about 100 feet vertical climb,very quickly with noticeably more power then it happened, lost sync with receiver and my x5c without any throttle applied climbed another 200 feet all controls unresponsive and landed in a yard behind my house somewhere which I still have not recovered.Don't know what went wrong. But I do know this I am spending more money next time and buying one with GPS. So bummed right now !

16. NCFRC

Bummer about the flight. Thats why you should find a large field to fly in.
    There's plenty of video's on line where the X5 is flown hundreds of ft. away with zero problems.
    1100 lipo ? Did you use a phone battery ?

17. NCFRC

Get rid of the stock white Losi mini battery connectors. They just do a very poor job
    of carrying the 4-5 amps of power needed. A good E Flite JST connector would be the first
    mod I'd do to these things.

18. Stevo66

Stevo66 New Member

Update: Waited until dark climbed up on the roof of my home with a pair of binoculars and spotted the blue/green and orange led lights blinking like a beacon.Came down in a tree three houses away in the neighbor's back yard.Almost gave up,thank god the battery was still juiced up. Oh and the battery was a 1 cell 25c 1200 Mah lipo not a 1100. No more flying near structures for me.Lol !!

19. NCFRC

Maybe your antenna mod " 3/4 - 1 extention " came unsoldered from the circuit board.

Or if it's too long it will kill the range.

What battery are you using thats 1200 mah ? Does it fit under the cover ?

20. Stevo66

Stevo66 New Member

The battery is a WK LIPO 016 783160/3.7V/1200 mah 1/25c AAKU for RC Helo w/JST plug. And the receiver antenna wire was a tad bit loose. I believe the transmitter wire is about 3 inches in total length but still fits inside stock plastic antenna part on transmitter. I did change out the receiver board wire and gave it just enough length to poke out through a tiny hole I made in the body underneath. The battery itself is huge in comparison to the stock 500, I was able to attach it to the removable body top piece secured with a small zip tie through two small holes I made in top piece.Snug fit but cannot even tell by looking at it.The weight of the battery is obviously a factor or may be a factor in obtaining it's full potential as far as altitude is concerned,seems to have awesome power on the climbs, and overall flight time seems to be substantially longer.