Space One Formula 220X build

Discussion in 'Build Logs' started by RENOV8R, Sep 26, 2016.

1. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Thought I'd try a little racing at the regional level next year and figured the ZMR250 clone just won't cut it hahaha. Just got this sweet little frame from Space One FPV and here's what I've got so far:
    Seriously Pro F3 Evo FC flashed with Betaflight
    Emax RS 2205-2300 motors
    Space One FCB
    Foxeer Arrow FPV cam

Ordered:
    Aikon SEMF 30 amp Opto ESCs
    TBS Unify 800 mW VTX
    IBCrazy Air Screw RHCP antenna

The only thing I can see in my future is some FatShark goggles, I'm sure I'd get laughed out of the arena if I came strolling in with my V800s

Really impressed with the quality of this frame, especially the camera mount. More to come..........

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. RENOV8R

Thought I'd update this as I've finally got around to starting this build. For anyone new to the hobby, this should show how simple it is really to build a quad from scratch instead of RTF

I started by soldering Aikon SEFM Opto ESCs (flashed with BLHeli_S 16.3) to the Emax RS motors. It's amazing how ESC technology has advanced, the Aikons are actually much smaller the SimonK 12 amps. IMG_2378.JPG

3. RENOV8R

Motors and ESCs are mounted using the Space One power distribution board. Nice board with 5 and 12 volt filtered regulator and nice big pads for soldering. The thing I like is that all positive pads are in a row on one side and negative on the other side, so much less chance of a short-circuit IMG_2382.JPG

4. RENOV8R

ESCs are shrink wrapped and SPRacing FC board installed on top of PDB. Everything's hardwired to the bottom of the F3 to keep ever IMG_2396.JPG ything out of the way and neat

5. RENOV8R

On hold for a bit now as receiver will be mounted on CF plate over the FC. Just not enough room for the R9DS, so I've ordered the much smaller R6Ds. Lots of room for the camera though. I like the camera mount design much better than the typical front plate on the ZMR250, angle is easily adjustable without any kind of permanent mount. 011.JPG

6. RENOV8R

005.JPG 001.JPG Just about done. R6DS receiver arrived yesterday, man it's a tiny little unit. 10 channel total and unlike the original R6D, it has S-Bus. Had a little problem that everything is set up and working in Betaflight but when I tried motor test, nothing. Stumped for a minute until I realized that all the signal and ground wires are reversed on the board. Rookie move hahaha. May have to rethink the IBCrazt AirScrew VTX antenna, as it seems grossly out of proportion to the size of the quad, but other than that just have to shorten the battery leads and figure out the receiver antenna mount

7. Hawki Pierce

Hawki Pierce Member

It's really coming along well. Looks like your down to the short strokes. One of the stub cloverleafs would look real good and be in proportion to the rest of the quad.

Here's an example:
    Stubby Antenna

8. RENOV8R

Yep, I've already got an IBCrazy stubby Bluebeam coming! Thanks

9. RENOV8R

Added some LEDs! Wow, that took a lot longer than I thought. I used a Luminier LED PDB, would have liked to stack it under the FC but there just isn't enough room. So I mounted it on the bottom with 5mm spacers for clearance. I set it up for now with Christmas lights. IMG_2408.JPG IMG_2411.JPG IMG_2415.JPG

10. Hawki Pierce

Hawki Pierce Member

It's really looking great! Your work is very clean ...

11. Tasajara

Tasajara New Member

Looking pretty good.... I just got the same frame, hard to pass it up when it is just $34.99

12. RENOV8R

Like this frame so much I just built another one hahaha
    T-Motor Blue Series 2206 2300 kv motors
    Revo F4 FC with Betaflight 3.1.7
    DYS XSD 30 amp ESCs/DShot 600 IMG_2463.JPG
    All TBS FPV components wth Buebeam antenna
    Tattu 4S 1300 mah 75C lipo

This flies soooo much nicer than the first one, the T-Motors are super smooth and quiet and a LOT more powerful than the Redbottoms, but I still get almost an extra minute per flight. I highly recommend them.

13. Tasajara

Tasajara New Member

here is how mine turned out... 17 - 220x.JPG BlueBerry.jpg

14. RENOV8R

Turned out fantastic. Did you use Sharpie oil-based markers for the frame?

15. Tasajara

Tasajara New Member

I used oil based sharpie

16. Robert Wright

Robert Wright New Member

Nice looking drone.