Sorry if this is already covered. FAA registration

Discussion in 'Safety & Regulation' started by Fly high, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Fly high

Fly high Well-Known Member

I’m trying to register my quad now and after filling out all the questions and serial #, I go to pay and it says $24.99
    What? I have read that it’s $5 to register one. I quickly backed out of registering to come here to find out.
    Is it $5 or what?
    Thanks guys,

2. Spork

Spork Well-Known Member

My only quad is under 0.55 pounds, but I did the forms too and noped out when I saw the $25 price tag. For a $50 quad. lol. I'll wait until I get one that actually needs to be registered.

mozquito1 likes this.
  3. Fly high

Ok, I got the scoop. We were almost duped lol. Those sites we were on were not faa websites. They were scammers who overcharge by $20 for the three year registration. The correct fee is $5 and I just finished with mine. Here is the real link.
    https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/

mozquito1 and Spork like this.
  4. Spork

Spork Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, Fly High.

Fly high likes this.
  5. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for 45 years

o_O ... I've been flying all sorts of stuff for over forty years (USA) and never registered anything !
    As I understand it as long as you don't exceed size/weight limitations or output power limits you do not need to.

mozquito1 likes this.
  6. Spork

Spork Well-Known Member

For recreational use, weight seems to be the only factor, so it's not required if the quad is less than 0.55 pounds (~249.5 grams) total weight at takeoff. I think that lets a large number of the toy-class quads avoid the registration requirements.

mozquito1 likes this.
  7. Fly high

Correct! the Holy Stone HS400 weighs like 1 1/2 lbs so that puts it over the limit. I’ve heard of people getting some hefty fines for not registering their stuff. And because you might be flying your quad in an area that is restricted without you knowing about it, not being registered would just double your trouble.

Spork likes this.
  8. Spork

Spork Well-Known Member

Yep, I google-mapped the distance from the closest airport and it was 5.8 miles and the road feels pretty straight north when you are driving, so I thought I was good. I started using the Hover app which shows where you can and can't fly (without jumping through hoops) and it turns out I'm about 100 yards inside the circle. I have some neighbors that call the police for everything anyone in our block does that may be fun - everyone calls them "Fun Killers". I'll let you guess how I found out it's against the law to shoot an airsoft gun in my town. Fortunately, it was only a $150 lesson - it still sucked though and it's why I'm taking extra steps to make sure I'm 100% legal - you don't always know when you'll run across a Fun Killer. Luckily, my favorite, close place to fly is some soccer fields that don't get any use except on Saturday mornings and it's just down the street and outside the 5 mile airport circle.

mozquito1 likes this.
  9. Gyro Doctor

:rolleyes: ... Ummm, almost all my stuff's weight is at least one pound. Don't fly over 400 feet high, or over 100 mph, or near an airport are the main rules and
    weight is nothing over several pounds as I recall ... transmission power was another one too, I think it's a half watt limit .... I'll look into it though ;)

My style is mach 3 with my hair on fire about about four feet off the ground while dodging trees though (not a "camera platform" dude). :D

Addendum: Has to stay within LOS (and be flown) too so, technically, when flying FPV you should have a "spotter' with you.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    mozquito1 likes this.
  10. Fly high

11. Gyro Doctor

It says right here FIFTY FIVE pounds o_O

c. Determination of “Model Aircraft” Status. Whether a given unmanned aircraft operation may be considered a “model aircraft operation” is determined with reference to section 336 of Public Law 112-95: (1) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use; (2) The aircraft operates in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization (CBO); (3) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds, unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a CBO; (4) The aircraft operates in a manner that does not interfere with, and gives way to, any manned aircraft; and (5) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the model aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation. Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport).

Here's the "full monty":

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/model_aircraft/

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  12. Fly high

I’m not sure what you’re saying. If you’re quad weighs over .55 lbs you must register it. What your link points out is you’re allowed to fly it as long as it’s under 55 lbs. but since yours is over the limit at 1 lb, you’re required to register

13. Gyro Doctor

:rolleyes: .... Ok, point taken, if it IS over 55 pounds then it's not ok, but show me where it says anything over .55 pounds needs to be registered ? o_O

14. Gyro Doctor

Nevermind, I see that .55 pounds limit in several online references (although I've yet to find it in any FAA materials) so I'll accept it as such.
    However, in the words of Star Trek, "I WILL NOT COMPLY" :mad:

Spork and mozquito1 like this.
  15. Fly high

You rebel you haha!
    I wouldn’t either if the cost was high but for only $5 for three years, it seems fair. But, I would not purchase a drone that requires registration if it costs an arm and a leg.
    Also if I owned property where I could fly it without being bothered I might not even register.

Gyro Doctor likes this.