so you want a quadcopter or multirotor

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by holtneil, Dec 2, 2013.

1. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

HI all this is more for newbies , if you have the dream of a quad or multirotor but dont now what?
    Wait this may help, there are multirotor for all, FPV( first person view), heavy lift air platform for camera work,
    high speed acro quads for fun
    h copters/ tri copters/ quads/hecicopter/octicopter /dead cat frames
    so what do you get watch the videos this will give you some ideas of what multirotors can do, take your time, dont rush in to thing and waste money, on what you are not sure you want , ask questions as much as you want , all of us on here want you to enjoy this hobby it can be as cheap as you want or you can put loads of money in to this but we will all help you with what you want, so now time to sit and watch ,Sorry if some videos are long but still worth the time

mwc quad -- rachel v2 - promicro flyduino 9dof - 12A simonk esc on Vimeo
    mwc quad -- leora mw32 on Vimeo
    Now you watched take time to think about what you want the acro quads frames are not cheap £80-£130 the FPV system alone can be £600 then you still have to buy the quad ,
    but like i said you can do it cheap RTF 450 quad about £200 micro toy quad £27+
    if i can help any one just ask i wont bite i dont know it all but between MM and the rest of us on here your be ok
    have fun and HAPPY FLYING

2. SpyKing

SpyKing Member

hey man nice post
    so i wanted to ask are those cheap quads worth it(50,60,70 bucks)? is it better to save money to get better one or for a newb like me it doesen't matter?

3. holtneil

Hi mate cheap quads have there place , if you learning to fly they are great to start on , i used the micro quads to teach CP helis as they fly the same as the CP heli , once you can fly some thing like the nano QX is fast and is a great flier , then jump up to the bigger i am flying a 700mm quad its still very fast in acro mode but is very stable in self level mode , so it really depends on your age and this will sound strange do you play pc games
    My friends grandson went from a micro quad to a 450 cp heli is 7 hours, he is 12 years old young people learn very fast due to there brain works out muscle memory faster than old people do ,and this may be related to them playing PC games with a games pad

4. SpyKing

SpyKing Member

5. holtneil

Hi Spyking this is an updated hubsan x4 , they are good for there money , they do a FPV one but its about £150 ,so to learn to fly and just have fun with its great , to do the fpv videos like you see on you tube its wont match them , but most use gopro and thats over £150 just for the camera

6. SpyKing

SpyKing Member

So this will do just fine for me
    Thanks for helping me out mate

7. holtneil

Hi mate if you dont mind the wait banggood.com is a good place to buy normally very cheap

8. SpyKing

SpyKing Member

But i doubt that its free shipping tho

9. QuadNoob

QuadNoob Member

BAnggood is a good place but stay away from Gearbest they will mess you over fast

10. QuadNoob

QuadNoob Member

I have 4 quads so far and just oredered my 5th. i just ordered a wltoys v303

11. NCFRC

NCFRC North Country Fun RC Well Known Member

Agree , I wish I hadn't placed my order with Gearbest.

12. David c

David c Member

anyone got any thoughts on the SK450 from hobbyking. are they any good?

13. holtneil

Hi mate they are a clone of the DJI flame wheel but in all white , they are a good cheap starter frame easy to build , easy to fix and cheap to fix, they dont have a built in power board like the flame wheel has , this makes the build very easy, I got the flame wheel one well I got 2 so I had spares , take a look at this one it has the PDB built in
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...opter_Frame_450mm_Integrated_PCB_Version.html

David c likes this.
  14. David c

David c Member

Do you know anything about the SK450 from Hobbyking?

15. David c

David c Member

16. David c

David c Member

I have also got the Walkera QR X350 but ive knackered the compass its taking ages to get a new one

17. holtneil

The hobby king quad you ordered is good its the same as the sk450 all the dji clone frames are good

18. jimmy

jimmy Active Member

Hi im a newb and im wondering what my first quadcopter should be . i looked at the latrax alias but i seen it has brushed motors and they have alot of problems . ive never owned one before so im not sure what company is good or not ive been looking around and confused with all the choices . I dont know if i should buy something expensive for my first one . i dont think i would be able to build one myself it looks difficult. thanks any help would be great

19. holtneil

Hi Jimmy what you need to do first is work out what you want the quad for ,ie FPV racing , camera platform, just FPV fun fly
    Once you work that out then how much do you want to spend on the project
    Have you flown before do you want to learn or jump right in on an easy to fly machine

20. jimmy

jimmy Active Member

i would want it mostly just flying around maybe with a camera i dont know whats the difference between camera platform and fpv. i have around $500 to spend . and i just bought a little cheap helicopter to play with and i really liked it then i saw these quads on youtube and they look really fun so pretty much no experience flying . and i maybe a easy to fly isa good way to start off or should i start by learning how to fly them