1. NOTICE: We're currently noticing some EMAIL DELIVERY ISSUES to Outlook and Hotmail email addresses. If you're a new member and don't receive your confirmation email, feel free to reach out to us via the contact link at the bottom right of the page.
    Dismiss Notice

Robocat 270 (rebuild)

Discussion in 'Build Logs' started by Hawki Pierce, Oct 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hawki Pierce

Hawki Pierce Member

Hey all,

I'm new here and a 1 year newbie to quads. I originally built a Roboacat as my very first project from one of the $100 Chinese kits. It stood up to its fair share of hard crashes and other sorted mishaps ... but, it was always difficult to fly LOS because it was completely black and orientation was always an issue.
    Ten months later (a little slow to react), I finally decided to change out the canopy to an orange one for better visibility. When I checked the prices, I found I could get a new, complete frame kit for $21.
    So here we go, this build will be a rebuild using many of the existing components from the existing build, supplementing some new pieces redo the majority of the harnessing and have a new "Cat" when done. Only God knows just how long that's going to take.
    Hope you enjoy my follies;

dave

IMG_1867.jpg
    Changes made to stock kit;
    1. Replaced all visible hardware to stainless steel cap screws.
    2. Applied Sharpie oil based orange paint to carbon fiber plate edges
    3. Will use only the canopy and not the side cover wings. This provides better access for battery loading and FC usb connector. It also greatly aids handling in strong wind conditions.
    Parts to be salvaged from existing build;
    1. 4x Emax RS2205 2300kv motors
    2. 4x DYS 30a BLHeli_s ESCs
    3. Matek PDB/BEC v3
    4. Naze32 Rev6c 10dof FC
    5. LemonRX DSMX Satellite
    Parts to obtain new;
    1. Rear LED light bar w\buzzer (naze32 controlled)
    2. Front spot light(s)
    3. FPV camera, TX & OSD
    Of course, suggestions of any type are both welcomed and appreciated !!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Why not simply go with different prop colors?

Hawki Pierce likes this.
  3. Hawki Pierce

Hawki Pierce Member

Hey Jackson ... have tried every color under the sun and as long as conditions are perfect, not an issue. But when it hits the shade, the bright colors become muted enough for me (and my aging eyes) to have issues recognizing fast enough to make a difference. I will still use bright orange & black props, but the addition of the orange canopy should help ... fingers crossed. It just so happened that all new CF was a bonus at this kind of a price level. Besides, I've learned a lot in the last few months about how I want to arrange things and clean up the harnessing.

4. Jackson

I always thought this was pretty cool, just simple 3 led strips sitting on top of the booms under the props.

Hawki Pierce likes this.
  5. Hawki Pierce

Hawki Pierce Member

So very cool ... a flying Christmas Tree. Great video and thanks for sharing it. Looks like they would be bright enough even in the sunlight.

6. Jackson

And nothing fancy or complicated, or even heavy. :)

Hawki Pierce likes this.
  7. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

The colored edges really set it off, I think I'll steal your idea for my 220X build

8. Hawki Pierce

Hawki Pierce Member

Please feel free ... it was a little bird on another (unnamed site) that gave me the idea. ;) The Sharpie Oil Based Paint Pen is an awesome product. Just be sure and clean the CF very thoroughly before applying the paint.
    And thanks ...

9. Hawki Pierce

Hawki Pierce Member

BTW, Please be sure and let me know when you post so pics of the 220X build, I would love to see it. take care

10. RENOV8R

Hawki Pierce likes this.
  11. Hawki Pierce

Hawki Pierce Member

12. Hawki Pierce

Hawki Pierce Member

BTW RENOV8R ... I don't know if you've ever flown the RS2205 red bottoms before, but they are the bomb. The first time I hit the throttle hard I almost fainted. Your new build should be quite robust!!

13. Hawki Pierce

Hawki Pierce Member

Well ... did a little work on the Robocat today. A little work means, mounted PDB/BEC, Motors, ESCs, Flight Controller, Receiver and the associated wiring and harnesses.
    I still need to add the battery (to be delivered tomorrow), landing gear, front spotlights and a rear, Naze controlled LED/Buzzer bar.
    That will wrap it up for a while until I round up the FPV gear ... Anyway, here's a few shots of the work done today;

Matek Mini Power Hub 5V/12V BEC & PDB
    Robocat 270 ph01.jpg

Battery plate and non-skid mat
    Robocat 270 ph02.jpg

A Naze32 Rev6 FC with Spektrum Satellite Connector Robocat 270 ph04.jpg

Emax RS 2205 2300kv Red Top Motors (just love these motors)
    Robocat 270 ph05.jpg Robocat 270 ph06.jpg

Robocat 270 ph03.jpg Robocat 270 ph07.jpg Robocat 270 ph08.jpg Robocat 270 ph09.jpg Robocat 270 ph10.jpg

Well ... that's it for now,

As always, any feedback, suggestions or criticism is always welcome and appreciated.

14. RENOV8R

Looks great!

Hawki Pierce likes this.