Recommendation for medium-sized FPV drone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DerFanatic, Jan 9, 2017.

1. DerFanatic

DerFanatic New Member

Hello all! :)

I am looking for a okay FPV-drone for outdoor use. I have been looking at a few drones, but i cant decide which one to choose.

Can you guys give me some advice on a drone that will fit me well, after these criterias?

- Small to medium sized (Must fit in a backpack in its own bag) I realize the small size might face problems in wind, but thats fine.
    - FPV, with screen on the controller
    - Decent range (is 100-200m possible?) If so, 200 m would be great, but i dont expect that much range.

Price - how expensive will something like this be? DJI Mavic, which looks fantastic, will unfortunately be too expensive.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

3. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

4. DerFanatic

DerFanatic New Member

Thanks guys!
    Do you have any experiences with these quads? How do they perform compared to my requirements?

Any other suggestions?

5. Jackson

Is useless.

6. DerFanatic

DerFanatic New Member

Why is it useless?
    I understand that resolution might be bad, but i need to see live-time so quality on the screen doesnt matter that much.

7. Jackson

It's useless for actual FPV flying, unless you absolutely never take your eyes off it. Flipping back and forth to LOS (which is almost impossible to not do) makes for a maddening and confusing experience.

8. DerFanatic

DerFanatic New Member

Okey, i see. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Is there any other models that i might want to consider? :) Its like a jungle out there, and with my lack of experience i cant differ the goods from the bads...

9. bnf51

bnf51 New Member

yes the eachine 250 racer bnf is a good choice and get yourself a fs-i6 with the rx
    i used the parkfly rx easy to hook up plus i soldered in a alarm on the receiver block.
    EC-250r $119 FS-i6+ rx $45

for a smaller starter fpv racer buy a 130mm carbon frame $18 and a set of (4) 8.5x20 motors $12
    and a flight board $20 (give or take) and of course a fpv camera $25 & maybe some leds $5 and buzzer $2.
    you will get used to using cleanflight or bataflight too if you setup one of these.
    there is i think a brushed cc3d board too .

130_racer.jpg
    and of course some kind of fpv headset those start about $50 and go up ,up and did i say up?
    to like $600

and btw speaking of headsets has anybody tried those $100 52" screen goggles?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  10. Rick M

Rick M Quadcopter Rookie

I did a ton of research and ordered a JJRC H8D. Based on what I'm reading and seeing, I plan on doing some immediate modifications (antenna, motor cooling, bearings). The main complaint has been motors burning out on this quad. However, for the money it seems to be a cheap but functional 5.8 ghz FPV quad. Is anyone flying one of these, and if so, can you provide your thoughts?

Also, Potensic brands a variant (the F183DH) that seems to be almost identical except for lacking RTH (which is nearly worthless, according to the consensus opinion), but adds a an altitude hold function. That I can live without, but the props are different on the Potensic version. Anyone have any feedback on the Potensic props and performance compared to the stock JJRC props?