Ready to build my first one!!!

Discussion in 'First Build' started by ejimbo4, Jan 17, 2018.

1. ejimbo4

ejimbo4 Active Member

So after flying my Bebop 2 for a while and getting a taste of FPV I want to build my first rig! I almost just went ahead and bought a RTF but I enjoy building boats, trucks and planes so I want to try my hand at building a FPV set up. I am pretty much clueless which just adds to the excitement! I know that I want durability seeing as how I will be learning to fly with this one and I have been looking for a frame that I liked and I finally decided on a
    OXFPV Thug 230H (in Black and White) Screenshot_20180116-210225.png
    OXFPV is a local company out of Alpharetta, Ga. Right down the road from me and the look of the frame caught my eye. The videos I have seen and the reviews look great so we will see but I am excited!!! It will be here by Friday!
    So if anyone has any advice or tips I look forward to hearing them!

2. dragger201

dragger201 If it ain't broke, don't fix it??? You kidding?

Welcome aboard...............
    Just some tips...........
    Youtube is your friend.
    Unless you are well versed in Flight Controllers, stay away from FCs that are not well documented.
    There's a good chance that when you finally get it all together, you may end up removing(forcefully) hair from your head before you get it flying right.
    Unless you have already developed Very Good soldering skills, stay away from All In One (AIO) boards. Most I have checked out have very finely detailed soldering required.
    Get ready to be overwhelmed with the variety of parts available.
    Get yourself a subscription to this site........https://www.ecalc.ch/...........you can use it to see what different combinations will do. For me it's definitely been worth the $6/year.
    The manufacturer of your frame has some pretty solid recommendations...........they are a good baseline from what I've seen on their website.
    In particular watch out for motors that are to large.
    Did I mention that Youtube is your friend?? I mention this again because there is a whole world of information there. You can also figure out what kinda flying you want to do. ....which will guide you on what components you need.
    Don't stint on the tools you'll need. You don't have to buy the very best, but a cheap tool will be a nightmare and cost you to replace damaged parts..........in particular your soldering iron maybe the most critical.

And most importantly..............HAVE FUN!!!

Gyro Doctor and RENOV8R like this.
  3. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Wow, that frame is Beefy!

mozquito1 likes this.
  4. ejimbo4

ejimbo4 Active Member

Yep but as I'm expecting to be crashing just as much as flying it being my first one im hoping it will hold up. All the reviews and videos I can find people really like it. I'm not looking to get into racing so much as the FPV aspect of it and some freestyle. I have the Bebop 2 FPV right now and love it but it is more a camera drone which is cool but I want MORE!!! LOL

5. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Beefy & tasty looking. This HDPE plastic is meant to be tough as hell but it's too bulky looking, & looks like there would be wind resistance on the frame. If it wasn't so bulky, same as the Ragge frames I would have one or two. Perfect for a first build though especially first flight.

6. DrAbsurd

DrAbsurd Well-Known Member

Yep. the "I want More" happens to all of us I bet. I remember when I had my moment of "Oh Hell Yeah, I Want More!!"

7. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Leningrad+Cowboys+-+Hell+Yeah+Beer+2.jpg

DrAbsurd likes this.
  8. mozquito1

I just checked out the site, not many to chose from. Around the same price as a Ragge. The ox rogue is what I would have picked. As it's about the only one that looks like it could mount a gopro without having to get anything 3d printed specially. Unless this local manufacturer is willing to make, or even already have what you require. & I would say these HDPE recycled plastic (although weighty) have more of a guarantee over the armattan of not breaking. I've heard if you did manage to bend the arm, you can nuke it in the microwave & apply weight on a flat cool or cold surface to straighten it out. seen one being thrown at a wall multiple times with no issue.
    But the big hang-up for me is it looks like a tonka truck (toy) bulky un aerodynamic
    One of these would have been my first if I'd have come across one. I work @ a recycling plant & know some random stuff about different processes.
    Buy one of these & your basically flying recyclable milk containers.. o_O

9. ejimbo4

ejimbo4 Active Member

I'm cool with recycled milk containers...... It's my first one! That's why I went with it. So here are my first questions.....
    When I am looking for my electronics what brands should I be looking at? Like with my off road race rigs I ran either Tekin or Hobbywing. What should I be looking at for motors, ESC, Flight Control, etc. My soldering skills are limited to larger gauge wire but I can solder. I know this is a bulky looking frame and isn't as aerodynamic as I could have went with but I saw someone post that there are so many frames out there so just find one you like for your first one and that's what I did. Now I want to put some sweet electronics in her and learn to really fly!!!

10. mozquito1

Check out UAE futures on YouTube he just reviewed the new dys sungak range.
    As soon as they are in stock & can get them I will try a set of each. $10 motors worth a try. There is a set of UFAW 2408
    That Joshua bardwell just reviewed, & not to heavy on the juice either. but these are premium motors$25+. My advice is some emax 2205, decent motor decent price & widely available. Racerstar can be ok but it's hit & miss, I've had a few motors of different sizes that don't have enough strands of wire in the flex or C clip missing. For that frame & being a first build try an AIO fcb. Depending on what rx & Vrx you got it can be tight for a first build. As for the soldering, haven't you any old TV or radio, hi-fi or PC you could rip apart & practice on.

11. ejimbo4

ejimbo4 Active Member

Mozquito1!!! Awesome idea! I have two old computer towers sitting in the shed! I will tear those apart and get me some good practice! Sometimes the easiest solutions are staring at us and we still don't see them tell someone points them out! On a side note my wife just texted me and told me my frame just got dropped off!!! Well...... She said "you got another package" because I haven't broker it to her yet that this happening! Lol

Spork and mozquito1 like this.
  12. DrAbsurd

DrAbsurd Well-Known Member

Just bill it as a reason the 2 of you will go find beautiful places to explore. Small chance she will get into it too.... But probably not. Hobbys can be the death of relationships if there's resentment attached. Not being a part of an obvious joyful experience can be hard on your S.O.

13. mozquito1

I like it, my missus the same. She thought I was building a bomb.

14. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for 45 years

The brands to steer towards or avoid depend upon the item(s) being evaluated. The cheapest way is with Chinese clones, but quality control
    is often "hit or miss" and there's also the (literally) "slow boat from China" consideration too. If you REALLY want to stay "top of the line"
    though (imho a wasted effort for first builds since you WILL break just about everything) you can't go wrong getting anything from TBS
    (Team Blacksheep). Their products are well vetted and arguably some of the best stuff to be had. ;)

15. mozquito1

I know if I ripped my pc apart there would be usable parts in there.
    Whether it be capacitors wire or jst connectors.

16. ejimbo4

ejimbo4 Active Member

I have always used Hobbywing motors and ESC's in all my ground based RC's with zero problems. Does anyone have any experience with their electronics for quads?

17. ejimbo4

ejimbo4 Active Member

So I have been watching videos for a couple days and trying to do some research. I am going to start with looking for some motors and have a couple questions. OXFPV recommends 2204 or 2206 size motors 2300kv or a little higher. I am guessing that with this frame being a little bulkier I would want to go with a 2206/2300kv motor? And then I would go with 30A ESC's to run the motors? If this sounds right does anyone have any recommendations on who to buy my electronics from? Boy this stuff gets confusing quick!!! LOL It's all good and I am learning a lot. This is definitely a lot more involved than just slapping a motor/esc combo in your truck and hitting the track or backyard!

18. ejimbo4

ejimbo4 Active Member

Just wondering..... Why a 2205 instead of a 2204 or 2206? Is it a happy medium? I like the reviews of the motors, everyone seems very happy with them and the price is right!

19. mozquito1

Emax 2205 Emax 2205 Emax 2205 Emax 2205 Emax 2205 Emax 2205 Emax 2205 Emax 2205 Emax 2205 Emax 2205 Emax
    With there being so many motors out there now these have come down in price. @ one point these where the best motors out there along with sunny sky. Cobra & Tmotor. These will certainly do a new flyer & can take a beating.
    DYS have a new sanguk range starting from $10 a motor. But probably won't be in proper circulation for a bit.
    If your build isn't going to be to heavy then you could use 2700kv motors. Maybe fly a couple of 3S first.