1. NOTICE: We're currently noticing some EMAIL DELIVERY ISSUES to Outlook and Hotmail email addresses. If you're a new member and don't receive your confirmation email, feel free to reach out to us via the contact link at the bottom right of the page.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Quad Motor wear and tear

Discussion in 'RTF Modification & Repair' started by 3rdMarDiv, Nov 2, 2016.

1. 3rdMarDiv

3rdMarDiv Member

Do these quad motors wear down and loose performance over time or do they run great until the end and just die? I've had a quad for some time now (Ominus) and it seems be flying doggy. I'd swear it was faster when it was new. I have maintained it well and replaced a couple prop shafts and one motor. I'm wondering if the new motor is out preforming the others making it fly a bit off. Thanks for any input.

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Brushed motors don't really last that long (I think the 0820s I got from MMW were about 5 hours) but letting them rest a few minutes before flights and the occasional drop of light oil will extend their life. On the other hand, maybe they're OK but you're just getting better and need something with more speed!

3. 3rdMarDiv

3rdMarDiv Member

You may be correct about the growing out of the Ominus as I have been looking closely at the X251. Not thinking about racing quads yet. Ominus is a great quad though for learning to include acro flying. Probably just watching too many X251 youtube videos. Thanks

4. DuaneM

DuaneM Drone? I don't see any drone ... crap!

I had the same issue with my WLtoys V686G running slowly after a bout a week of flying. I replaced the motors and she ran like new again!

They are cheap, so buy several sets, you'll be happy you did.

5. 3rdMarDiv

3rdMarDiv Member

I'm pretty sure that the motors are dying slowly. The quad still fly's nice, but has lost its zip. It cannot do a raising funnel for instance. In fact, it cannot even maintain a level funnel. I will replace the motors before spring. In Michigan I really can't fly outdoors in sub-zero weather. Well, I guess you can, I just don't want to. I chase the cat around in my house and I have access to my local community flying mini drones to to keep the rust out. Thanks for the reply as I think you added to my suspicions that these motors die in increments...LOL Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

6. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

7. 3rdMarDiv

3rdMarDiv Member

I think you are on the money. My guess is that they die in increments. I will put in new motors in the spring as its sub-zero here in Michigan. I fly indoors using mini quads over the winter. I have access to my local community center and chase the cat around my house. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

8. DuaneM

I live over here in PA and have the same weather, I just got back in from flying. This cold doesn't stop me, just my batteries.

Our cats are happy I'm not good enough yet to actually fly inside.

9. 3rdMarDiv

3rdMarDiv Member

You are correct, I could fly outside in the Michigan winter, but I just wouldn't enjoy it. I've got some FQ777 124 and 124c's and a couple H22's to putz around with. Getting good at all the maneuvers indoors will greatly enhance your overall flying ability. If you post some flight videos on youtube U/L the links here as I'm sure videos of quads flying around snow covered scenery would be nice. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year...! PS Your cats would love the quads. Every time I fire mine up mine comes running for the action...LOL

10. 3rdMarDiv

3rdMarDiv Member

Those are exact replacements, but I was reading somewhere that replacing those with the Vista motors is a better investment. I will likely just replace with the 0820-15's as my guess is the Vista motors will be more expensive. If anyone has upgraded using the Vista motors I would like to hear their thoughts.

11. DuaneM

Micro motors are pretty expensive, but I have heard really good things about them (just forgot where). You'll need a gear puller and glue to put the tiny gears on those shafts. I did see a guy use a lighter to heat up the gear and take off, not sure how that would affect the motors though.

I actually started looking into modifying my little toy quad (it's 250 size) with brushless motors. I would have to add a frame or something to handle the powerful motors since the plastic would just break off. I was thinking about carbon tubing. Then I have to figure out how to hide all the electronics, like I said I was only thinking about it. ;)

12. 3rdMarDiv

3rdMarDiv Member

I just pick them up at gearbest or banggood for under 20 dollars. I did recently replace a 100 mA battery in the 124 pocket quad. That was a tight squeeze...LOL

13. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

14. 3rdMarDiv

3rdMarDiv Member

I did check out all their motors and looked into their site. The MDL# on motor 8.5 X 20 is same as my Ominus whis is CL-820-15. Deminsions look the same also, but in the spec data they refer to using them on micro quads and the RPM are greatly different like 15,000 (Ominus) to 39,000 (Their Motor). In fact, they refer to most of their motors as being for micro quads at 90-150mm. My quad is propeller shaft to shaft at 16.5cm or 165mm. Close, but over their Max. The prices look great and so do their motors...

15. DuaneM

I love the way Micro Motor Warehouse promotes their 0820 motors. They have several speeds: "speed:fast" or "speed:faster" and the best description I have every heard for little 0820's, "speed:insane"!!

I have been buying my little 0820's from seller on eBay, $9.99 for all four with the copper gears attached.

I tried cramming a 1200mha battery into my quad, doesn't fit, but duc tape sure holds it on the top though! I'm thinking a rubber band or two would be probably be more aerodynamic ..... :)