quadcopter configuration opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by miky94, Feb 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. miky94

miky94 Active Member

Hi,
    I'm newbie in quadcopter's world and I'm starting building my first one, I was undecided between 450mm and 250mm frame, so I decided for a F330 frame because I think it's a good compromise of stability/maneuverability for a versatile drone (fun flying/photographing).
    I think there's enough space to carry what I need (a camera, maybe some sensor), so I can save weight then autonomy, and I can easily upgrade it to a 450mm frame only by changing arms and propellers.
    On DJI site for the F330 frame they recommend 2212 motors and 8045 propellers, so I opted for 920Kv motors (like dji FlameWheel330):
    - 8045 propellers
    - 2212 920Kv motors
    - 30A Simonk ESCs (for the future)
    - MultiWii FC (I need one written in Arduino)
    - 3000mAh 3S 20C LiPo

Furthermore, to prevent mid-flight shutdowns, I'm looking for a low battery voltage alarm, e.g. buzzer or led, do you know anyone?
    and since I haven't it, is there a battery-ESCs connector with which I can avoid buying a soldering iron?

What do you think about this configuration?
    If motors are ok , are there differences between various motors brands?
    Otherwise, for what Kv or motor size should I look for, considering an eventual future upgrade to 450mm ?
    Thanks

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Avoid buying a soldering iron, o_Owhat?
    What are you thinking. :rolleyes:
    Your going to need one.

3. miky94

miky94 Active Member

I know that is a must, I just wanted to know if are there alternatives connectors less "definitive".

4. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

5. miky94

miky94 Active Member

Thank seems what I was looking for.
    What do you think about motors?

6. RENOV8R

7. miky94

miky94 Active Member

Ok for sizes, and what about Kv?
    Unfortunately it doesn't ship to my country, anyway these seem expensive, I've found others that cost 3 times less!
    At equal sizes and Kv, what differentiates brands and costs? Efficiency?

8. RENOV8R

Umm, that works out to $12 per motor. So if you've found 2212 900kv motors for $4 each well. good luck with that.

9. miky94

miky94 Active Member

10. RENOV8R

Like I said, good luck. At that price, better buy a couple extras

mozquito1 likes this.
  11. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

You can't even buy dys1806 for less than that. & there about the cheapest I'd go for. We think you need a rethink on them motors.

12. RENOV8R

13. miky94

miky94 Active Member

Is my first drone, these motors don't have to last a lifetime. If they fly well, they will be fine. I'm more interested to choose the right specs

14. RENOV8R

The specs are OK for your build, I predict that 3 out of the 4 motors will work just fine

Rick M likes this.
  15. miky94

miky94 Active Member

is it the same for batteries? with same specs, are there any differences that justify low / high price? which batteries brands are best?

I found this one with good price / mAh / C-Rating / weight, I only have to buy a Deans-XT60 connector adapter
    http://www.dx.com/it/p/high-capacity...8#.WoozzqjOVPY

What do you think about it?

16. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

I bought 5 of those golden motors for my tricopter, surprising powerful. Still got 3 that work fine and one with a bent shaft. :)

17. miky94

miky94 Active Member

are there better alternatives to the multiwii fc always Arduino written?

18. photojunky

photojunky Well-Known Member

I would stick to known Brands and reputable companies. I don't know if that was said later in this thread because due to my ADD I did not read all of it, but that would probably be your best bet. I bought a couple of cheap Motors off of eBay from some unknown company, and one sounded like a roller skate, and another lasted about 20 or 25 minutes before also sounding like a roller skate.

19. miky94

miky94 Active Member

I have to buy a deans connector wire for the battery to solder to the bottom board, but online I read incongruity about AWG and ampacity, considering I have 30A ESCs which AWG I need ?

As both motors and ESCs have enough long wire, I'm thinking about putting the ESCs in the middle instead of on the arms to minimize wires slack , protect the ESCs inside, and have better center of gravity (maybe?), what do you think about it ?

20. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

It's not about the ESCs, it about what amps your motors draw.