Quad wants to take off

Discussion in 'Newb Guides' started by SeanPep, Dec 2, 2016.

1. SeanPep

SeanPep Member

So I just got a DX8G2 transmitter and a Conspiracy 220. Trying to get everything setup correctly and following the instructions. I have all the settings entered into the transmitter and got it bound but the issue I am having is when I arm it, with the throttle completely down mind you, the motors start spinning. If I move the throttle up, then they rev up like they should but they wont ever stop unless I hit the disarm switch. What setting am I missing that is causing this?

Thank you for any help guys!

2. Wildwelder

Wildwelder Well-Known Member

Sounds like your transmitter needs to be calibrated. The motors should arm at zero throttle but shouldnt increase rpms till 50% or wherever you set it.

3. Sitab

Sitab New Member

Hi, just got a 220, got it binded, but no throttle response at all
    When it starts up it shakes all the blades then bleeps three times... any ideas?
    Book says try the arm motor switch.... anyone know where that is?
    any help please, thanks

4. SeanPep

SeanPep Member

Did you set your transmitter up according to the book? My arm switch is on the right hand side of my radio but it's where ever you assigned it.

5. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi mate there may be a setting in clean flight that says run motors when armed , turn this off and the motors wont run till you throttle it

6. Sitab

Sitab New Member

Hi All
    Ok, so three days in and I'm making progress
    In answer to Sean, I think the idle position with engine armed, is the rotors turning
    As it doesn't generate any lift at throttle bottom. And if you want all stop you flop the engine arm switch

I re read the book and assigned all my channels, found the arm engine switch and away I went.
    I can't seem to make mine hover, as soon as I take off it drifts off in variable directions... as soon as I try and correct the drift it flips over and hits the ground hard. I've tried holding it and stopping the drift on the fine tune adjusters, but it doesn't behave consistently.
    Now rear left motor doesn't turn on throttle idle, but does power up as I ncrease power... or force the giroscope by tipping it by hand.... any ideas?

I've snapped the video transmitter at the base, yes the protruding part with the thread for the mast.
    Really dissapointed this snapped inside. Bit if a design fault and I would recommend not using the video transmitter and mast whilst learning to fly.

7. SeanPep

SeanPep Member

Yeah so when you arm the quad it should just spin the motors... not take off or anything.

The reason you are having issues with keeping it from flipping and all that is because you're in air or arco mode. Angle mode will keep it level and make it easier to fly. Check out page 10 of the manual under Flight Modes and Rate Selection. That explains all the different modes.

I snapped the right angel connector on my VTX the other day. Luckily I had another on hand for my googles and it was a simple fix.

8. Sitab

Sitab New Member

Thanks, i am in angle mode i think... any way to test that?
    As mentioned my rear left engine doesn't rotate on tick over and i wonder if i have damaged it.... it powers up on throttle up, but as i said the whole things is pretty unpredictable in flight, do you think i should replace it for new?
    You said you snapped your right angled mount as well??
    are they interchangable....

im having trouble getting spares as well, all local model shops are out of rotors.
    do you know of a good fast online shop?

Have you noticed any difference in the three arm rotor vs two arm?

9. holtneil

Hi mate you normally adjust min throttle on the FCB to get all motors to start and stop at the same time this will balance the quad more on take off

10. Sitab

Sitab New Member

Ok, do you know how to setup or access the flight control board?
    Sorry, i am a complete novice and you know more than my model shop

11. holtneil

Hi there is normally a USB port on the fcb plug this in to your PC .now depending on the FCB you have you will have to use the right software for the board like cleanflight/ baseflight/ when you got the quad the spec would have said what it's flashed with

12. holtneil

Hi I just check it runs cleanflight so your Need to down load this on to your PC this will let you adjust the FCB
    If you go on you tube and look up painless360 he does a set up about cleanflight this will help you know how to set up