Quad on kk 2.1 not stable hovering

Discussion in 'First Build' started by mc420, Jan 10, 2017 at 8:32 PM.

1. mc420

mc420 New Member

Hi, I've recently built my first quad on HK kk 2.1.5. Everything works well except the throttle is too sensitive around hover point(one click of the throttle stick and it fliest straight upand one click down and it falls right down). It also spins in yaw without me touching the stick(can't trim it enough), and when hovering it drifts away in whatever direction- its bit random.It's simply not behaving so stable as it should- it doesn't stay hovering when you let of the sticks. I've checked motor connection and i am using correct props and calibrated my ESC's so that should not be a problem. Thanks for help, i've been trying to figure it out for days and no correction on PI settings makes a big difference.

parts list:
    HobbyKing KK2.1.5
    Radio: HK T6A 6ch
    Motors: Turnigy NTM 35-36A 800kV 500W
    ESC: HOBBYWING X-Rotor 40A OPTO
    Hobbyking X525 V3 Quadcopter Frame

2. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi mate on the KK its really important to make sure in the monitor screen that all inputs read zero , you adjust the sub trim in the radio ( the only one that wont go to zero is aux this is a switch channel ) once all is at zero and inputs move the right way to match the sticks your ready to calibrate sensors ,the quad must be 100% level to get this right , then last of all calibrate the ESCs , when you test fire the motors do they all stop and start the same if not go in to the menu and there is a setting called MIN throttle its normally 10 as default increase this a few points at a time min is 20 to get all the motors to stop start the same time
    Also what firmware are you using the Hobby King firmware is not that good if you have the flash tool re-flash with Steveis1.8S1 pro this is super stable
    I just looked at your radio its not going to have sub trim the radio is to basic you may need to upgrade this to get the quad to fly right

Jackson likes this.
  3. mc420

mc420 New Member

thanks, i have all inputs reading zero, i have calibrated acc, calibrated ESCs, motors fire at the same time but the problem still remains :( Maybe it's that I have a slightly bent motor mounts because i crashed a few times, but with my other quad thats not a problem

4. holtneil

It may be just as simple as the receiver is super sensitive to the throttle on the transmitter , a bent motor mount can make it drift a little , but better firmware will make it more stable
    If this is your first build what is the other quad

5. mc420

mc420 New Member

I have a shitty chine one :D
    but the problem is should't the gyro stop it from spinning? Not that its spins fast, it spins slowly but thats enough so I can't control it

6. holtneil

Normally if they spin its getting an input on the rudder channel go and check that its zero

7. mc420

mc420 New Member

When i go to receiver test i have everything except aux on zero but it still spins a little and doesnt stay at one place

8. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Like Neil said you must update the firmware.