Quad falling out of the sky, batteries dying, broken capacitor

Discussion in 'RTF Modification & Repair' started by AndreTJ, Oct 25, 2017.

1. AndreTJ

AndreTJ Member

Hello everyone, some time ago I purchased a floureon racer 250 from gearbest. When it arrived, the charger included that was used to charge the batteries stopped working. I therefore purchased a new charger and 2 new batteries since they also seemed not to be working. Now both of the batteries I purchased have also stopped working. Two of them can't be charged, and the other one only one cell is charged. I was completely mind boggled as to why this was happening. After futile conversation with customer support I decided to just give up. I wasted money, time and effort. A few months later I decided to take the quad out of my drawer and tried the batteries again. Still no use. However I realised a missing capacitor for the back right prop. (Image attached). I am fairly certain this is the reason for the falling out of the sky, as this prop was always the issue. However is it possible that this also damaged the batteries? If not, what could it be?

I want to be certain this is my issue because in all honesty I'm just not willing to waste more money trying to fix this unless this is the definitive fix. I'll also need to buy another battery :mad::mad:

These seem to be the capacitors on my quad(below). If this is the issue, how would I replace the missing capacitor? It seems theres a small plastic thing under the capacitor (on the left in the attached image).

My main concern is if the missing capacitor could have damaged my batteries.

Appreciate the help

Andre

Attached Files:

• 123.jpg
      123.jpg
      File size:
      893 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  2. glideher

glideher RC Glider King

what brand are the batteries that went bad?

3. AndreTJ

AndreTJ Member

The including floureon one and two turnigy ones. Is it possible the missing capacitor damaged the batteries? Or does that have nothing to do with it :/

4. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

5. AndreTJ

AndreTJ Member

Thanks for the help. I've been trying for months to find out this battery issue to no avail :/

6. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Interesting that different brands of batteries have "gone bad" Do you have any low voltage warning/protection in place to insure that your batteries aren't over-discharged when flying?

7. AndreTJ

AndreTJ Member

Not that I know of. Unless there is any implemented with the racer 250. Maybe there's something I'm doing wrong causing this to happen to the batteries? I think two of the batteries have been over discharged. Initially I thought this may have just been my mistake, however I remember letting the batteries charge and they would just never finish charging. Once I tried to use them, the drone would tell me there's no battery. After plugging them into the drone, they wouldn't charge again. What could cause this? Is there a possibility the drone is somehow damaging the batteries? It can't be the charger because I've also tried two different (different brands too) chargers. I honestly have no idea. I'm not very good with drones so the fact that I'm confused doesn't mean much. I barely got any flight time out of this drone. I only got one decent flight. Every other time, it fell from the sky due to one prop failing (the one where the capacitor is missing, I'm assuming this is the reason). Is there any other cases of batteries failing like this? Maybe I'm making a simple mistake.

So if I do decide to order some new capacitors, I've found some on aliexpress that look identical and have the same numbers written on them. I'm assuming these are viable. Since I am using a new account I'm unable to link them. They're called "8Pcs 470 25V SYK capacitors New and original" on aliexpress. Very frustrating that I can't get to the bottom of this battery issue :3

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

8. glideher

glideher RC Glider King

hmm are you sure youre not taking your battery cells lower than 3.3Volts ?

GJH105775 likes this.
  9. RENOV8R

10. dronedudz2015

dronedudz2015 New Member

I would consider looking into DJI drones depending on what the purpose of owning one is for you. I think they make a solid platform and they can be fairly sporty but also very reliable and controllable. probably my favorite thing about the DJI is its return to home feature. super cool stuff in my book

11. AndreTJ

AndreTJ Member

Maybe. I'm thinking about purchasing another battery to test once I fix the capacitor. The included battery was a 1500mAh 30C 3s lipo. However I can't find any battery with the same specs. I can find one with a constant C rating of 20C and a peak discharge of 30C. Will that work? It seems the included battery is discontinued. Strange that I can find any 1500mAh 30C 3s batteries...

12. AndreTJ

AndreTJ Member

I'll definitely pick one of these up when I try to fix it. So how do I know what voltage not to go below? Also do you know where I can buy a 1500mAh 30C 3s battery? I can't find them anywhere.

13. AndreTJ

AndreTJ Member

I think I'll eventually pick up a DJI drone however I also like the ability to have some fun chucking it around and doing some tricks. I'd be too afraid to do that with an expensive DJI drone.

14. AndreTJ

AndreTJ Member

BTW guys, I found the capacitor. I attached an image of it below. Is there a way to re-attach it? Or do I have to buy a new one. The thing is, I have no idea how to solder the capacitor on. It looks strange. Any help? Someone else who had the same issue but with the eachine version simply just bought a new PCB board. Is the eachine PCB the same one as the floureon? Here is the eachine one. https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Ra...or-Eachine-Racer-250-p-1040720.html?rmmds=buy

It looks pretty identical to the floureon one. Will it work?

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      620.8 KB
      Views:
  15. RENOV8R

16. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

That's why I suggested a standard radial cap. Easier to attach/solder.

17. glideher

glideher RC Glider King

why not go with these babies, great price and high C rating,,i use these for many applications, rock solid, just a little on the heavy side but provides great power and you can discharge them as low as 3.0 for each cell and they still keep on truckin...you can also charge these at a whopping 10C, which means for a 1500mAh you can charge them at 1500 x 10 = 15amps = 7 minute charges without damaging the battery