Problems with Hubsan H501S drone motor

Discussion in 'Quadcopters In The News' started by BillB, Nov 26, 2017.

1. BillB

BillB New Member

After a hard landing, and three broken props, one motor on my H501 won't turn. The drone also beeps and won't stop beeping until I disconnect the battery. Any advice?

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum. When you say your motor "won't turn", do you mean it's locked up or just won't spin up like the others when you give it power? Does it even twitch or anything? If not, then it's most likely that a wire has come disconnected from the crash. If you can't trace it, motors are easy to find and are around $12-$15. Just make sure you get the right one, the H501 uses CW & CCW motors

3. BillB

BillB New Member

Hi Renov8r! Thanks for your reply. The motor is not locked up -- it spins freely, just not when it's powered. I was able to disassemble the bottom of the motor arm in question, and can see a connector for the motor, but it looks solid, and it's hard to reach without taking the entire bottom off, so I wasn't going to do that unless it's really necessary, and I guess it might be. The persistent "beep" is still there, and appears to be louder on the arm of the non-working motor -- a fault alarm?? What do you suggest I do next?
    \
    Bill

4. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

I'd try recalibrating your ESCs and make sure you've updated to the most current flight controller firmware. If this doesn't help, you will have to try replacing the motor

5. BillB

BillB New Member

Thanks for your advice. My guess is that since things works well before the crash, my problem is motor-specific. I will try to take off the bottom and see what kind of access I get.

Bill

6. BillB

BillB New Member

Hi! Well, after I took the drone apart ( 24 screws) and fiddling with the connectors inside, I found that one wire on the ESC connector associated with the non-spinning motor was not seated in the connector body. I re-seated it, and viola', the motor started spinning. I re-assembled everything and then tried to fly. Very erratic operation with lots of drifting. I need to re-calibrate both the compass and the drone's horizontal and rotational modes, I think, then I'll try again. Too windy at the moment. Hubsan was pretty helpful in all of this, even sending me photos of the spots to investigate.

Jackson likes this.