Other devices possible on camera socket ?

Discussion in 'Experimentation' started by and7barton, Oct 13, 2016.

1. and7barton

and7barton New Member

This is a question about my Syma X5C-1. Is it possible to unplug and remove the camera and control another device from the power socket ? - Say, bomb release mechanism, spotlight, a folding undercarriage........ a parachute or other experimental ideas ?
    The camera has three leads. I presume the black one is a common return and the other two are live feeds - one a continuous feed (when triggered), for video...... the other a momentary feed for still shots ?
    If you have a device fitted on that only requires a momentary trigger to operate, then you could still have the camera available for video. Has anyone experimented with this possibility on a Syma, or any other quadcopter for that matter ?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  2. Wildwelder

Wildwelder Well-Known Member

Actually a kid in the next town over from me put a .45 on one and his father rigged a flamethrower. Legallity is an issue but to answer your question, alot can be imagined when you wire up a servo or two. Get a voltmeter and see what you have to work with and go crazy. Just, well , you know..... be careful!

3. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for 45 years

Interesting proposal.

If you know electronics and how to rig a monitoring circuit, "watching" the camera's wiring then yes, you can "piggyback"onto those wires
    to trigger any added-on device you like.

Depending upon the nature of the add-on (momentary operation versus on/off operation) you would need either just a trigger circuit
    ( for momentary operation ) or a slightly more complicated circuit consisting of: A trigger circuit, a latch circuit, and a toggle circuit.
    Upon sensing the momentary trigger pulse the latch circuit would hold the "on position" active after the trigger pulse is gone.
    The toggle circuit would turn the add-on back off upon sensing the next trigger pulse. ;)

These functions are relatively easily obtained by the implementation of what is know as either an "RS" or "JK" "Flip Flop" which is a small
    IC Chip with only four or six pins on them, as well as a couple of transistors, a few resistors, and a few capacitors :)