Ordered a bugs 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dugdog47, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

So I had a beer or two and started reading this forum, next thing you know I've got a bugs 3 coming from banggood.

Went ahead and got the cheap action cam and the 5.8fpv cam with it so I can record and also see what it sees.

This seemed the most affordable way to do the kind of flying while recording that I was lacking on my other toys.

Does anyone else have any experience with this setup?

Comments welcome!!

KentA likes this.
  2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Cowboy (Jackson) just won a bugs2 so I know he's in your boat.

3. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

Did you get the C5820 or C5830 camera? The 5820 fits stock, the 5830 is really designed for the Bugs 2 & 6 (I think it is) and requires you to cut out the nose end of the Bugs 3 to mount it.

I think you will love the Bugs 3. It's an outstanding flyer. I have put an SJCam SJ5000x camera on it and shot some really good video.

4. Dugdog47

Yep that's awesome! My luck isn't that good however so I decided to buy one.

5. Dugdog47

C5830 is the fpv camera. Hopefully I won't have to modify anything too much but we'll see.

I can't wait to try this bugs 3 out it looks like a very good quad. I'll post a video once I get her up and running.

6. Jeff Neese

Jeff Neese Well-Known Member

I just ordered one myself this week and according to Fedex, I'll have it Saturday. I ordered from Tomtop because I wanted a red one, and they had it for $86.99 shipped from their US warehouse.

Both the C5820 and C5830 are FPV cameras. The C5830 is a better camera but requires you to modify the case slightly. I'm going to set mine up with a Runcam Swift Mini, but haven't figured out how and where I'm going to mount it yet.

What goggles did you buy, or haven't you yet?

7. Rick M

Both the C5820 and C5830 are FPV cameras. The specs are identical, but the exterior is different: one is sized to fit in the Bugs 3 shell (5820) and one is sized for the Bugs 6 (5830). The difference between the two is really poorly documented, and the 5830 is much easier to find. You even have to be careful when you order, as vendors sometimes don't distinguish between the two. Even MJX RC's web site doesn't do a good job of describing the difference between them. I had to do a ton of research on this to figure it out, because I've considered putting a 5820 in my Bugs 3 (because it's a plug-in option for FPV and cheap).

The 5830 can be installed in a Bugs 3, but you have to cut the front opening in the frame to be wider and deeper. IIRC, someone has a YouTube video showing that mod.

8. Jeff Neese

Jeff Neese Well-Known Member

Rick, I trust you on this but somewhere I got the impression that the video quality of the C5830 was supposed to be a bit better. If that's not true and they are the same, why in the world would anyone go to the trouble of cutting their Bugs 3 to make it fit, instead of just buying the drop-in C5820?

I've watched so many video comparisons and have definitely decided that CCD is for me. The Swift Mini looks like the one I'll put on my Bugs 3, although I don't know exactly how yet.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  9. Dugdog47

I'm still using a small monitor I've had for a while that connects to the controller. Not quite ready to dent the credit card on a good set of goggles.

10. Dugdog47

Yes I ordered the c5830 looks like I'll be doing the mod. I hate to cut up the nose of my new quad but if that's what it takes, no problem.

11. Dugdog47

The swift mini looks interesting but it says it's signal is pal/ntsc. Is that different than the 5.8 t.v. signal?

12. Rick M

I've asked myself the same question a ton of times. But it takes some digging (quite a bit, actually) to even figure out that:
    1. There are two different camera models (even MJX's website lumps them together, and does not explain what is different about them)
    2. What the Heck the difference between them is
    3. Which model the one you are about to order actually is (in some cases even the seller mis-identifies the model they are offering)
    They are tough to visually distinguish from each other. The only difference is that the case is wider and taller on the 5830. Also, the 5820 is much harder to find, for some reason. I think most of the people who order a 5830 and mod a Bugs 3 to fit it simply don't know there is a model designed for the 3.

I think you can likely find better quality options - the biggest selling point of the C5820/30's are that they are cheap and plug-and-play. If I was really fussed about turning mine into an FPV flyer I would look for a separate VTX/camera option, probably a Runcam Owl or Eagle and a good 600mw VTX like an Immersion RC or comparable.

13. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

I didn't want to dent mine either & when I did came to a realisation that I can't ware fatshark type unless they make them with a wider IPD setting. I bought some skyzones to mod but it was white plastic, sprayed orange & the light leakage was bad. Also there wasn't any room to widen the ipd, so I sent them back unhappy.
    Actually it was a good thing as I'm well happy with my immersionRC setup & some quanumsV2. It's comfy sitting in a chair not having to worry about head placement. I just bought a 600mw tramp hv, for the tweaker. IMG_20170820_125139033_crop_582x832.jpg
    Potentially this setup has better range than my Tx. Breakup :confused: what breakup
    I just spike it in the ground 5' high. I would still like goggles but im happy.

14. Dugdog47

Mozquito that is an interesting fpv setup. I'll admit I don't know much about racing quads or all the different setups and much of what you and Rick talk about is over my head.:eek:

I've discovered a fpv drone field in my area that has regular meets on Saturdays. Let's see what they think about the bugs 3!

Hopefully I'll learn a thing or two and see some awesome setups.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  15. Islandhog

Islandhog Member

I don't have a camera on mine yet. Can say it is fun, it's smooth, quiet and easy to fly. It has enough weight and power to handle some wind. Flew it in 10 - 15 mph today.
    The battery charger that comes with it isnt worth 2 dead flies. If you don't already have a good charger, it will be a great investment that will save time and batteries. Good chargers are also a lot safer.

16. Dugdog47

I ordered the action cam that is the size of a gopro from banggood for $26 to try with the bugs 3. It's simple, cheap and if I destroy it crashing I won't be out too much.

As far as chargers I have a tenergy balance charger that I bought off amazon for $20. It has worked very good so far as long as you don't mind waiting an hour and a half for each battery to charge.

17. Islandhog

Islandhog Member

An hour and a half is not bad.
    I tried the charger that came with mine it took 4 hrs!!! Never used it again.
    Been thinking of doing an fpv mod, it's either that or another quad.

18. Dugdog47

I also have two other quads, one is fpv and the other records only. I like the bugs 3 because it can handle two cameras, and also it will be the first brushless motor quad I own.

I just watched a youtube video of a guy that installed the c5830 on his bugs 3 without cutting up the nose using a piece of a sponge and hot glue.

19. blue79

blue79 Member

Hey guys, speaking of cameras for bugs 3... Has anyone tried panorama camera? It seems like an interesting concept... The resolution is a bit small but it still looks fun to me...
    https://m.tomtop.com/p-rm8454.html

20. Rick M

I picked up a Runcam Owl Plus for the Bugs 3. I'm going to shop around for the right vtx for it and turn it into a combination sport flyer and FPV quad. It's running on 3S, so should be a fun FPV flyer in angle mode only.