No response from FC or ESC

Discussion in 'First Build' started by Jez, May 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jez

Jez Member

Got my first build all wired up but when I power it up, no LEDs or beeps from the FC or ESC. I can't seem to find out what I did wrong. Highly doubt the two parts were defective. Image of the wiring attached.

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Did you try to power it & BF it before you done any soldering through the usb?
    Do you own or use a multimeter with continuity test before a plug in. For the price of an esc they are invaluable.
    Check or reflow the Solder joints.
    A few ppl lately are getting the wrong esc cable that supplies full battery voltage instead of 5v. Check the pinout diagram for your esc & fcb then compare to the actual wire.
    You posted a picture of a wiring diagram, would be better if it was your actual quad. Are you using a pdb, you may have a defective because. When I first started I was leaving the iron on the pads too long & killing motor ports & basically the board. But the led still came on.

Jez likes this.
  3. Jez

Jez Member

Unfortunately, I did not try to power & BF it. Huge mistake on my part.
    I do own a multimeter. When I power the ESC, I still get battery voltage out each motor pad. Not sure if that's good or bad.
    Both ESC and FC are capable of handling battery voltage so that shouldn't be an issue for the FC.
    I had battery going through ESC and then the ESC powering the FC.
    Here's a a couple pictures of the wiring on my quad.

33835363_10157560847409126_2976440944905158656_n.jpg 33922801_10157560849134126_2693744440840814592_n.jpg

4. mozquito1

Can you tell us what that fcb is & what version of holybro esc.

5. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

So you are supposed to flash betaflight before you begin to solder?

6. Jez

Jez Member

My build consist of:
    Joshua Bardwell F4 AIO
    Tekko32 4in1 ESC
    Hypetrain Le Drib 2306 2650 KV
    TBS Unify Pro

I think he meant to test the FC before soldering so you can narrow down what could potentially be wrong.

mozquito1 likes this.
  7. mozquito1

Yeah I set all modes pids before I Solder anything & flash latest ware.
    That way if it don't work after finish the build, I know it was my fault. Same with esc's. I use a £2 servo tester as I buy a few at a time & sometimes they go in a draw from weeks..

8. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

It's not wired up as per the diagram. Tekko32 4in1 ESC isn't getting any power, lipo needs to be connected directly to the Tekko32. It will feed the flight controller

9. Jez

Jez Member

I'll have to try this!

Oops. Sorry, the wiring diagram I have is what I initially did. Then I took it apart to see if I can single out the issue. Seems like the FC is completely dead. Maybe too much heat on my soldering?

10. mozquito1

Maybe. I killed a few like that

11. RENOV8R

When you plug your flight controller into your computer with only the USB cable (no lipo) do you get any LEDs at all?

12. Jez

Jez Member

None at all. I noticed that the bootloader button gets really hot.

13. RENOV8R

Yeah, you probably killed it. That's the problem with the Bardwell FC, you can only power it by VBAT. Back in the day (like a year ago) I'd suggest you connect a 5v source to a spare pin on the 5v rail such as motor 5 or 6 and bypass the VR. Can't really see any 5v in on this board, only out

14. mozquito1

He might know a lot but not it all.
    I'm on about Bardwell and not Renov8r :D

R. I. P. Bardwell F4 AI:(
    IMO don't spend more than 20 bucks on an fcb until you flew at least 50- 100 lipo's. A lot yes, but by then you will know more & won't be chewing through fcb's.

15. Jez

Jez Member

Thanks for the help guys! I'll turn down the heat then lol.
    I've built the cheapo one off of UAVFeatures and have gone through about 50 lipo's on that and am getting a lot more comfortable with flying. So I thought it was a good time to start buying better components. I have a Kakute F4 AIO that I got awhile ago, so i'll try that along side the Tekko32 4in1 ESC. Hopefully I won't kill my FC this time. I'll update the build when I get time to do so!

16. RENOV8R

I do most all of my soldering with the iron at 370 degrees;)

17. Jez

Jez Member

I have settings 1-5. Not sure what those correlate to on temperature. I do most of mine on the 5 setting though lol

18. mozquito1

Me, 18watt silverline fine tip (UK made)
    Haven't a clue on degrees,
    it just works. :)

RENOV8R likes this.
  19. RENOV8R

I've got the TS100, freaking amazing. It has firmware, computer programmable............seriously.............

mozquito1 likes this.
  20. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

Celsius or Fahrenheit?