No picture

Discussion in 'Newb Guides' started by Lightingtech, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Lightingtech

Lightingtech Member

Hi everyone. I just got my first drone so I'm very new to this. I have successfully paired the remote to my Eachine e58 and my WiFi is also paired to my iPhone but as I open YJ UFO I have no picture. Any advice and suggestions are welcome. Thank you very much

2. mark jackson

mark jackson Well-Known Member

is there a lens cover from the factory are you on the correct wifi network?

3. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

Those wi-fi camera drones are unreliable at best and just plain don't work at worst, that is why we use the 5.8g analog signal for fpv.

My advice: get a real quad.

4. Lightingtech

Lightingtech Member

Thank you for your replies.no lense cover. How do I tell if I'm on the right networkand how do I get to 5.8g signal for fpv? Thank you again for your help

5. wafflejock

wafflejock Well-Known Member

@Lightingtech switching over to 5.8GHz would mean buying two other not very cheap things (namely a video transmitter and video receiver goggles) . You can get cheap versions of the receiver goggles for around $50-80 (box goggles) but more expensive versions go up to $700-800 once you include diversity 5.8GHz receiver(s). The video transmitters (VTX) we use typically go for around $40 so that cost isn't terrible but the goggles might be too much, also this assumes that the camera on the quad has an analog video out signal that you can tap into the VTX.

Think dugdog was just saying if you want it to work well and are interested in getting deeper into the hobby then jump into the deep end and forgo the "ready to fly" option when it comes to the FPV setup. I haven't personally used any of the wifi connected copters but my guess is since it's a digital signal it can avoid the analog noise issues you get with an analog signal being transmitted/received but on the flip side you probably aren't going to get the same range (usually my guess is not as high amplitude/power signal from the wifi chips than the VTX transmitters which can typically do at least 20mW and 200mW settings and some with 600mW or even 1W settings for places or for people who that is legal) or anything near the same low latency you get with an anlaog signal (less encoding/decoding on each end).

6. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

When you say you paired it to your phone I 'm assuming you mean that you opened up the wifi settings in your iphone and saw the E58 and enabled it?

7. Lightingtech

Lightingtech Member

Yes correct

8. Lightingtech

Lightingtech Member

Are there other steps I have to take in order to see the video in the JY UFO app thanks for the advice everyone

9. wafflejock

wafflejock Well-Known Member

Maybe try one of the other similar apps for controlling wifi based quadcopters based on watching this video it sounds like there are a lot of similar cloned products and apps and apparently they may be open enough (not secured/locked down) so an app from one mfg might work for a different mfg quadcopter.

Would also be curious if the app is able to send any control signals or communicate in any way and it's just video that doesn't work or if no communication happens... in any case it will be hard to debug proprietary things since we probably wouldn't have access to the firmware or ability to flash the flight controller, so hopefully one of the other apps or this app starts working. If not I'd probably chalk it up to mfg faults and get an exchange or refund (or like I did with my KingKong GT90 with crappy soldering on the 4 in one ESC just keep it for parts for the second one :) )

10. Lightingtech

Lightingtech Member

I opened Wifi saw the e58 and enabled it.Is there another step that I'm missing?

11. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi as long as the phone Wi-Fi is linked up to the quad camera you should then open the app on the phone

12. Lightingtech

Lightingtech Member

Thank you for your reply hotneil. I've tried several apps on the phone after the Wi-Fi was linked up and none of them gave me video. I also noticed that when I link the Wi-Fi up that on my phone the Wi-Fi icon at the to of the screen turns to LTE.. Is that normal? Thank you again for your help

13. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Never had that one I use a Samsung all I get it a warning that it has no or poor internet once I link to camera , the only thing I have to make sure it does relink to my home network of i am close to my house