Night Flying Setup?

Discussion in 'Flying' started by thepiper92, Nov 12, 2016.

1. thepiper92

thepiper92 New Member

Hello, I just joined here. I have been on Helifreak for some time, a enthusiastic heli flier, and I have recently gotten into racing drones. I don't intend to go into racing, but I wanted something that would at least offer the flying challenge similar to that of a collective pitch heli. My first FPV quad was an Inductrix, and it is fun to fly, but I wanted something to use outdoors. I just received my Spedix S250, and have been flying it around a bit LOS to get used to it. I actually intended to fly it today FPV, but the little monitor that came with my Inductrix died (forgot to charge the battery). I do intend to go to goggles soon, but then again, the screen allows me to instantly switch to LOS for landing.

The main issue I am having right now is the short days here in Manitoba, pitch black at 6pm, and I am interested in a night setup. I don't know what my best options are. I don't want to rip apart my Spedix and install a new camera, unless it is a simple install and plug in like what is on the Spedix now. By the way, what does the little white switch on the camera do that comes with the Spedix? I am undecided about using a LED flashlight, or IR lights, I just want something that will let me cruise around a field after the sun goes down.

On a related note, I know lipos don't like cold, but with a 2200mah 3s pack on the 250 quad, can I expect decent enough flight time in the warmer days of the winter at around -10C (I have never flown my helis in the winter, so I do not know what to expect with flight time, other than a 2200 pack seems to get me 6-7 minutes so far, and that is in fairly cold weather at 4C, as well as with some heavier winds).

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

3. thepiper92

thepiper92 New Member

4. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

5. thepiper92

thepiper92 New Member

The Runcam has a 3 wire strand, the stock has a 4 wire strand. I gather that is due to the Runcam having no audio (not sure I care about audio really anyway), but how would it connect, and would the Runcam mount on the stock camera mount, or mount on the frame without drilling holes?

6. thepiper92

thepiper92 New Member

So I ordered the Owl Plus. Daylight usage doesn't look amazing...but better than what I have in the 250. I'm still using the screen that came with the Inductrix, must be 640 res. I like being able to do LOS landing though, so with goggles, do most remove them to land, or is there a trick to land without seeing the ground. Also, which goggles should I go for? I don't want extremely wide FOV, more focused and larger objects (since larger FOV will make everything smaller to give you wider viewing correct?). I have SMA antennas currently, and I know some of the goggles are RP SMA.