Next up.....FC,PDB+VTX(help please)

Discussion in 'First Build' started by ejimbo4, Jan 29, 2018.

1. ejimbo4

ejimbo4 Active Member

So I am building the OXFPV Thug 230-H and I got a set of DLFPV 2205 2300kv motors along with some Hobbywing XRotor Micro BLHeli-S 2-4S 30A DShot600 Brushless ESC Support OneShot 125 42.
    Now I want to figure out what I want for the FC,PDB+VTX.
    I have been spending every spare moment I have watching videos and reading articles and I'm starting to get a basic understanding but I would really like to hear from you guys if I am making the right decision or if you can recommend something better or more appropriate. For some reason I keep going back to one of these two....

http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=f405-std

http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=f405-ctr

Combined with....

http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=fchub-vtx

Is this a good set up? This is my first build and I want to do it right. I'm not looking to make this a budget build but at the same time not break the bank either. I want quality and dependability when it comes to my electronics and I am willing to spend some money for my FPV. I just want to make sure everything will work together. So let me know if that will work our throw some other suggestions out there! I greatly appreciate it!

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

I would suggest a omnibus F4 betaflight +osd.
    Any Matek pdb with 5&12v bec.
    If you want smart audio, change settings with the tx then you need either the immersionRC tramp hv or a TBS Unify.
    These also give telemetry. If you into that stuff. Mah & flying time is all I use on the osd.

3. ejimbo4

ejimbo4 Active Member

Ya all I would really like is flying time and mAh. I just had to look up smart audio just to see what it is that's how green I am! LOL I was just looking at the Matek setup because the stack would connect with the flat wire and keep everything clean and I would have PDB,FC,OSD+VTX. Is that correct?
    Now if I go with the Beta flight F4+Osd, it comes with a built in PDB SO all I would need is the VTX correct?
    Sorry if these are elementary questions but I am learning as I go and I have read so many articles and watched enough you tube videos my head is going to burst but I do appreciate all your input Moz !!!!

4. mozquito1

Yes if the F4 has a built in pdb. There is a few different ones.
    You could buy a cheap vtx like a TS5828S but they don't last long. & the smart audio is the way to go. With having a shorter stack, means you can get shorter standoffs. Which will get that top plate lower meaning the battery will be lower giving you a better center of gravity.
    Which all saves weight = more flight time. A bit strange the 30amp esc's only upto 4S. IMHO they would be perfect for those beefier 4S 2306-7 that have a bigger amp draw. But should last a while on a smaller 22XX size. & be able to push max throttle a bit longer bursts.

5. ejimbo4

ejimbo4 Active Member

What about the barometer? Do I want afc with it without?

6. mozquito1

It's handy to have but if you intend to just fly acro, I don't bother.

7. mozquito1

I just came across this vtx-hv I can't find any reviews but all the Matek kit I got is solid. I just ain't tried any fcb's. matek-vtx-wiring-diagram-1024x819.jpg

8. mozquito1

So whatever way you go, well here you go
    :cool:

9. mozquito1

It's around the same price as a tramp hv,
    Less than a TBS Unify. But the next time I have to replace a vtx, it will be with one of these. It's waffer thin.

10. ejimbo4

ejimbo4 Active Member

Thanks Moz I appreciate your input! Man I just got my ESC's in the mail today and I was sure I ordered the wrong ones they are so small!!!! I double checked and triple checked but they are the right ones. I know coming off of 1/8 scale off road things are going to be smaller but these things are ( . )!!!!!