Newbie here!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Budsy, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Budsy

Budsy Active Member

I've wanted to get a quad for a while with a camera. Finally broke in with a Syma X5SW

Lots of fun and I've been learning and getting better. But now I want something that can withstand the wind a little better and get better video. FPV no longer is important as I don't use it like I thought I would.

I was looking at the Syma X8 series, maybe the X8SC and then possibly getting a gopro mount for it to get high quality video. For under $150 it seems it can't be beat. BUT I'm open to suggestions.

I'm just not ready to drop hundreds on a high quality drone or custom build.

2. dragger201

dragger201 If it ain't broke, don't fix it??? You kidding?

That's a good quad, but would suggest you get a "G" model. Stronger motors, despite what the nay sayers say.

3. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

I agree, and the G series camera isn't a GoPro by any means, but it's not bad at all for the money. I've seen some very impressive photos and video shot with this quad. If you live in the USA, you can get the X8G on Amazon for as low as $96, and the X8HG for $120-130. I don't think I'd bother with the air pressure altitude hold for the extra money, but that's me.

The G series motors ARE different. Whether they perform better is the point of contention. I don't have a useful opinion on this because I don't personally fly an X8G or HG. A couple of people who I have generally found to be very reliable say with certainty they are stronger motors in terms of performance.

4. Budsy

Budsy Active Member

Thank you for the replies. Do the HG & G both have the stronger motor or just the G?

I kind of liked the one button takeoff and landing but on the SC. Seemed like it would be a good feature but maybe not that important. Still learning :)

5. Rick M

The motors are different for both the HG and the G. FWIW, you can put the G series motors in any X8.

6. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

7. Rick M

Jackson, you've become a Bugs 3 convert! And you can use 3S LiPo's - I have been flying mine with them. For camera work the 2S are fine. For sport flying, the 3S are really nice and provide a lot more speed and power. The consensus is that the stock props don't perform well with the added power. I fly mine with 3S batteries and DAL 6045 props.

Edited to add: DAL 6045 TRI props.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  8. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

My only original complaint was lack of spare parts, now rectified. :)

Rick M likes this.
  9. Budsy

Budsy Active Member

Brushless is nice but that seems like all it has going for it in my uneducated opinion after watching a couple reviews. Also doesn't have any bells or whistles like the X8. I must admit I like the idea of the hold altitude function on the X8SC.

What am I missing?

10. Budsy

Budsy Active Member

Oh, and won't be using that vendor to purchase after the reviews I've read on them... may want to consider shopping elsewhere.

11. Rick M

Tomtop depends on who you ask. This is true of most Chinese suppliers. I have used Bangood.com with much success (assuming you are patient). I haven't bought from Tomtop, and they worry me a bit based on reviews. Use PayPal to pay for any overseas purchases and you are much safer, because they will indemnify you against possible losses. The Bugs 3 itself is great, and if you watch forums and stuff you can sometimes get it for less than 90 bucks.

12. Rick M

The Bugs 3 is short on some of the 'bells and whistles' like auto take-off/landing, headless mode and RTH. It has a couple of very uncommon bells and whistles like 'signal loss' (hey, you are too far or something is interfering with me hearing you, better turn toward home and re-establish a better control connection) and low battery (I'm going to stop flying and fall out of the sky before too long). You have to decide for yourself which ones matter more to you. :)

13. Budsy

Budsy Active Member

True. Thank you. I have avoided using headless mode on my x5. Just seems like it would be better to learn to fly without it. But the x5 has no wind resistance. Even air moving in the house moves it.

14. Budsy

Budsy Active Member

So you guys think the MJX will do better in wind than the X8?

If so, where in the forums do I watch to get a deal? I know amazon has a sale coming up on July 11. Maybe I can get a deal there.

15. Rick M

You're absolutely right.It IS better. The X5's have more wind resistance than you think, but they're so light you have to get the nose down and give them a lot of throttle or they will get blown away. Many of us have lost a quad in wind while we were learning. See: me. :)

dragger201 likes this.
  16. Rick M

It will. Once you learn to fly well, the Bugs 3 won't care about much of any wind you are gutsy enough to fly in, but see my last post You have to learn to fly with confidence first, and you can fake it for a while, but not forever or the wind will win in the end. The Bugs 3 is a steal at $115. If you want one at that price, go see Jeff Suits on the MJX 'Multirotar' Forum on Facebook, or the Syma X-Series Quadcopter Forum there. You can get them cheaper. Jeff ships from Tennessee, delivery in 2-3 days within the Continental US, and will cover pretty much anything that goes wrong. OTOH, sometimes Gearbest, TomTop or Banggood have them for 90 bucks or a bit less. As always, your mileage may vary. Amazon might have a great deal on 'Prime Day'...you never know.

17. Budsy

Budsy Active Member

Cool thanks! Anything that might be a little better that is under the $150?

18. Rick M

It depends on your definition of 'better'. In terms of durability, versatility, speed, and handling I don't know of any offhand. In terms of features like auto take off/land, barometer altitude hold, headless mode, there are a ton of other options. However, most of the quads in this price range that have those particular features also have brushed motors (vs. brushless like the Bugs 3). With brushed motors, you sacrifice a lot of performance and motor lifespan.

If you can give us a better idea of what your priorities are in terms of features, folks can probably make other specific recommendations based on their experience.

Jackson likes this.
  19. Rick M

Ok, here is an intriguing option. CAVEAT: I don't know this quad, and haven't seen any reviews or feedback. I think it was probably just released by MJX. It appears to be built on the same platform as the Bugs 3, but adds a lot of features. 139.99 at Gearbest using coupon code MJXB2C. I tested the code and it does end up at that price. Claims to have GPS RTH, air pressure altitude hold, headless mode, auto take-off/land, RTH on signal loss or low battery, LCD display with some telemetry functions, 2 MP camera with 1080p video and stills.

http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_623165.html?wid=21

yay likes this.
  20. Budsy

Budsy Active Member

Well, that's pretty cool also.