Newbie 1st build.

Discussion in 'First Build' started by Spin, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Spin

Spin Member

Building a Morphite 180 V2 with TMotor MT1306-10 3100 kv, Rotorgeeks 12A ESC with BLHeli (1 with BEC), AfroMini 32 (Ver 3), FrSky D4R-II (setup as PPM), GemFan 4x4.5 nylon glass fiber props, and a 1300maH 2S 7.4V battery. I need 5V for the receiver. Is it as simple as a servo cable from the receiver to the AfroMini and plug the ESCs in? What if I upgrade to a 3S battery? Hoping for a smooth easy ride while learning with upgrade to FPV later.

2. tylorwashere

tylorwashere Well-Known Member

Your reciever gets its 5v from the FC via the throttle connector. Were those motors really 40 bucks a pop? I didn't look much but the first table I saw only had figures for a 2s battery.

3. Spin

Spin Member

Motors were $40. Everywhere I searched everyone complained about the price, never the quality. No one ever said they wouldn't buy them again. Saw 3s listed once or twice, but didn't save the locations. Understand the current and speed will be 33% larger, may tentatively try 3s someday. Receiver gets the 5V from the AfroMini 32, no problem. How does the AfroMini 32 get the 5V? Everything I've read says I will need a BEC. I'm assuming (but don't want to assume) that will be the 5V source for the AfroMini 32 and then the receiver?

4. tylorwashere

tylorwashere Well-Known Member

You said one of your esc's has a bec right? That brings your battery voltage down to 5v and supplies it to the fc

5. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Your esc's have a bec built in...you dont need a separate bec because of that.

6. Spin

Spin Member

Thank you so very much! Will be back as I slowly make progress.