Need help wiring up my fpv setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hug_dealer :D, Jun 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. hug_dealer :D

hug_dealer :D Active Member

Hi all,
    Current build progress is going okay... i am just about to wire up the fpv system. but i think the parts are incompatible!!!!

Parts:
    Mini osd - https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/ardupilot-mega-minim-osd-v1-2/

Tramp HV - https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/tramp-hv-5-8ghz-video-transmitter-v2/

Foxeer camera - https://www.quadcopters.co.uk/fpv-video-cameras/foxeer-monster-mini-pro-fpv-camera

Can somebody help me in telling me how to wire it up? i am cool with buying extra cables or whatever...

2. hug_dealer :D

Please help???

3. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

What flight controller are you using? asking because most now have Betaflight OSD chip so there's no need for external OSD

4. wafflejock

wafflejock Active Member

Long story short you just need power to the camera and power to the video transmitter, then wire the analog video out from the camera to either the osd or your fc if it has osd support built in, last is video out from the osd to the video transmitter. I use a pdb for getting regulated power for basically everything but looks like the camera could be run right off of the battery.

5. photojunky

photojunky Well-Known Member

This is a similar set up. Don't know if it'll help but it may. Just look at the wiring. Should be very similar

6. hug_dealer :D

using a pixhawk flight controller.... only issue is i dont see any way i can connect the osd with the camera and stuff.... need help asap. i dont want this money to go to waste :(

7. photojunky

8. hug_dealer :D

ok so.... i know i need to connect the vtx's 3pin header into my camera.... but my camera has 4 pins and im usign the minim osd in between.... none of the cables seem to fit together kmn.... HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPp

9. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

The tramp supplies 5v out to the cam.
    So if the fcb has osd he just needs to swap the video signal wires.
    Cam - Video in then video out to the vtx, which will give the osd, if not its the same principle. The osd chip needs to interrupt the video signal before it reaches transmission..

10. wafflejock

wafflejock Active Member

@hug_dealer :D Take some pics of what you're looking at so we can get a better idea, show the cables and pictures of the ports with whatever labels they show. Sometimes you need to cut the cords and solder the wires to each other or onto the boards directly depending on how things are currently wired and what pads/pins are available to wire into.

The long story short is there should be power (red for + and black for -, typically, yellow wire is usually your video cable, if it has a blue line believe that is usually smart audio but you can probably ignore it if you're just trying to get video working. Basically video comes out as an analog signal on a single wire so once you have power hooked up you just feed the video out of the camera (video out) into the OSD (video in) and out of the OSD (video out) into the video transmitter (video in). From there the transmitter handles converting/transmitting the signal.

11. photojunky

Just don't confuse your power wire with something else. The power, positive, is pretty much the only way you can do damage. So make sure you know what is positive and negative. If you have a voltmeter that may help.

12. RENOV8R

Woah, you picked a pretty complicated setup. Here's a complete detailed installation guide for connecting the Minim OSD and FPV system to the Pixhawk.

13. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the wide world of R.C. aircraft bro. Nothing just plugs right in, you have to cut off plugs and re-solder new plugs on that will work.

The camera should've came with a plug that fits it, the VTX came with a plug that fits it. You have to cut off the connector on the VTX's wires and solder on a plug that fits the camera.

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

photojunky and wafflejock like this.
  14. RENOV8R