need help choosing a motor for a build

Discussion in 'Build & Tune' started by shawnd, Jul 1, 2018.

1. shawnd

shawnd New Member

hello, looking for some help with a new build. I plan on building a quad to have 2 separate purposes. the first purpose is for video. I'm going to mount a dslr gimbal to the bottom to take photo and video. i will make this gimbal detachable to save on weight for the second purpose though. second purpose will be a little bit of a different one. i also plan on using it for fishing. i do a lot of surf fishing but always wish i can get my line out further then what i can cast it. i'm going to design a system that will utilize a servo and dedicate one of the controls on the transmitter to open up and drop the line into the water. for this build i have bought a team integy purple 550 frame due to its size, fold-ability for transportation and cost. i have just recently started looking at motors and have been a little overwhelmed with the amount of motors and different sizes. i have tried googling and watching videos on how to pick the right motor and have found many helpful pages and videos but i'm still a little overwhelmed lol. any help will be much appreciated, thank you, shawn

2. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi a low kv motor like a 650kv and big props will give you the lift and flight times you want for both jobs

3. shawnd

shawnd New Member

i don't plan on using the props that came with the frame, i plan on using a much higher quality prop but the 4 that came with the frame are 11" props. do you think that is a good size or do you think i should go a little bigger?

4. shawnd

shawnd New Member

also what about the turns on a motor. should i be paying attention to how many turns the motor has as well. do i want more turns or less turns. or just don't pay attention?

5. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Do not bother with turns. What size frame do you have or intend to get.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  6. shawnd

shawnd New Member

i have a 550 frame from team integy

7. mozquito1

8. mozquito1

I'd suggest carbon props aswell. 10" or 11"