My latest build is a Tarot

Discussion in 'Build Logs' started by RENOV8R, Jul 16, 2016.

1. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Tarot 650 Sport
    Quanum MT 4106 580 KV motors
    BLHeli 40 amp ESCs
    Tarot ZYX-M flight controller
    Tarot OSD
    Tarot T-3D III metal gimbal
    Gitup Git2 Pro video camera
    Turnigy Graphene 4S 15C 10000 mah lipo
    Tarot 680 Pro canopy
    FPV - workin' on it

Flies like a dream and GPS hold is rock solid, can't really say much more. Although maiden flight was interesting to say the least. Flew great for 10 minutes then without warning it throttled up and went to about 75 feet in the blink of an eye and sat there frozen time with no response to any stick commands whatsoever. Wasn't expecting this so it took a second to realize that, oh crap, it's in failsafe and it's getting ready to head on home. No biggie except for the fact that there's no reason it should be doing this. Flipped it to Attitude, got control back and landed with my heart going at 600 beats per minute. Turned out that I just had my first level voltage warning set to Go Home instead of flashing red light. I'm an idiot hahaha

Attached Files:

Hawki Pierce and ringolong like this.
  2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

The canopy looks cool.

3. RENOV8R

Thanks. Thought I was going to have to do some modifications as it is for the 680, but it's a direct fit

4. Jackson

So do you still have the last beast you were building?

5. RENOV8R

Well, I've got most of it. Just a minor crash and broken landing gear and a couple other things as it was pretty flimsy and not the best quality. But it was a good cheap learner to get my feet wet flying larger crafts. But the this Tarot is much better quality. I had it out this morning and it flies sooooooooooo nice. Getting a little more confidence so I was just practicing figure 8s and going a little further out. The one thing I still haven't worked up the nerve to do is hit that Go Home switch. Something about quad taking off on it's own without any control on my part scares me. Is this normal or am I just a chicken sh#* hahaha

6. Jackson

Let's have a poll! :)

RENOV8R likes this.
  7. RENOV8R

Got the FPV system installed with Foxeer cam and Boscam 350 vtx. Perfect spot on the canopy for the Foxeer but I may have to make a small block to decrease the angle as it's at about 20 degrees up. Just haven't had a chance to test the view as it's been very windy

Attached Files:

8. mtnmanfpv

mtnmanfpv Well-Known Member

Renov8r, a question for you if I may. I received my Tarot zyx-m on Friday, and spent the weekend pulling my hair out trying to start the calibration and set up procedures. Problem is, when I click on the "connect" button in the upper right of the assistant software dashboard, nothing happens. I've tried 3 different cables for the laptop to usb interface unit, with no results. I'm afraid I may have received a faulty usb unit. Can you believe it? First I received a faulty DJI-M and had to send it to the service lab for repairs. Ordered the Tarot unit and it won't work either. Think someone is trying to tell me something? Sorry, I guess that's 2 questions.

9. Jackson

What OS? When you plug into the USB port does your computer make the connection sounds?

10. mtnmanfpv

The OS is Win 8.1. When I plug the usb into the laptop, the comp. does respond with it's normal 3 beeps, and then 2 beeps when I disconnect. That's the same thing the support tech. asked. Well, he asked if I was using Win 7 or 10. I replied with specifics, still waiting for a reply.

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE!!!

You may remember I had to send my DJI Naza M lite to the service center after it crashed my quad 4 times. Well, they must have found something wrong with it, because today I received a brand new V2!!!! No word about the old one, just a wish that I enjoy my upgrade to V2. I'm a happier flyer now. will be putting the Tarot aside until their service can tell me something. I'm convinced there's a bad connection in the usb interface. We shall see.

11. RENOV8R

If you haven't done this already, go into Program Files(86) folder - ZYX-M - DRIVER - below the CP210x_VCP_Windows folder, is the Sylabs driver installer.

BTW here's a big heads on the ZYX-M. There's a new firmware upgrade from 1.04 to 1.5 that Tarot has released. Upgrades FC and GPS module. DO NOT do this upgrade, it's a frickin' disaster. Erratic flight, craft chasing ghost satt signals all over the place and unstable GPS hold. Worst thing is, it's the first firmware upgrade for the GPS module so you can't uninstall. it's junk. And when you go back to the 1.04 firmware for the FC it doesn't take properly and you also have issues. And this isn't just me, there's a ton of guys on RCGroups with the same problem and Tarot will not give any of us any kind of CS and in fact will not even respond. All they're doing is sittin' back laughin' their asses off as the GPS modules fly off the shelf at $45 a pop. So after 3 days of trying to work it out, my ZYX-M is a paperweight and I've got a Naza-M V2 coming.

12. RENOV8R

Here's one of many posts regarding the firmware problem.

I'm flying an X8 and I could not get the Yaw to stabilize at all! I tried from 75 to 170 on the yaw and everything in between! I was doing my adjustments 1 increment at a time so literally everything in between! The drift on the GPS was horrible and the stability was crap! Just like emailcraigs I was having issues with my motors getting really hot with the new firmware! With v 1.04 they would barely get warm through a fifteen minute flight and after the update to 1.40 they were hot after 5 minutes in the air! About 120 degrees hot!

The immediate cut-off does not work with the new firmware. It does the intelligent cut-off no matter what you have it set to in the assistant software.

If I found a decent setting with the gain that was not horrible, changed them a little, then reverted back to them, it would not fly the same as the first time with the exact same settings.

I am not at all impressed with the firmware update. I ended up having to buy a new flight controller to put on my X8 to make it usable again. I put the flight controller with the 1.40 firmware on a very inexpensive S500 Quad. So far I have 2 flights in on it and it seems to be flying ok with that setup but it will not make my X8 fly as it should!!

13. Jackson

That's a dirty shame. :(

14. mtnmanfpv

wow. very discouraging. I still haven't heard back from Tarot either. I will double check the status of that driver though. But not today. I'm about half way through the mechanical installation of the new V2, and halfway through the reading and downloading work. Keeping my fingers crossed here. They say that the third time is the charm, and this V2 is my 3rd FCB

15. mtnmanfpv

I was going to ask, on the subject of Tarot, has anyone figured out what the extra socket on the side of the GPS puck is for?

16. RENOV8R

Hahaha it's for the firmware upgrade. Try it, I dare ya

17. mtnmanfpv

hmmmmmm, a little birdie told me I should pass on that.

another "off the wall" question for you guys. Is it possible for me to use my "RunCam" as my FPV camera. I realize I still need to acquire a Vid. Tx, Rx and display screen, but is there an easy way to take the video feed out of the runcam and feed it into a Tx? Do any of the producers make it easy? And would it be asking too much if I could insert an OSD unit while I'm at it? (Yeah, I'm already saving up my lunch money.)

18. RENOV8R

19. Jackson

20. RENOV8R

Yes, it'll let you use it for both, but I found the FPV to be a little jerky and lagged a bit behind real time. Maybe because I was connected to an OSD instead of straight to a VTX. But the cables worth it just for the fact that firstly it powers and continualy charges your RC, and secondly it connects to an Aux channel of your receiver so you can control on /off and switch from still to video modes directly from your radio