Motor/ESC Issue?

Discussion in 'First Build' started by oscar1, Dec 12, 2017.

1. oscar1

oscar1 Active Member

Hi, so I'm building my first quad, which has been a pain, but i've got everything connected on cleanflight. However, when I go to the motor section to test the motors, I check the safety box, plug in the power and move the motor control bars, but nothing happens. If I leave my quad connected to the battery for a few minutes, the motors will just turn on individually themselves after a while and spin. I don't know whats gone wrong, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Never seen or heard that before.
    Try a throttle calibration
    Try a board reset on the setup tab,
    Did you put the latest firmware on the esc's. After a minute being idle the motors should make a beep but not spin up.
    I had a quad that flipped on take off, ppl said the wiring was wrong. I checked & checked again & resolderd. Had me going for 2 weeks then RENOV8R said try a reset & it worked. That reset helped me a few times since. Just go over the wiring again & make sure no signal wires are shorting anywhere.

3. oscar1

oscar1 Active Member

Thank you! I will let you know what happens, but I'm gonna start by resoldering, as my soldering is very dodgy. Also do you know how to put firmware on the ESC's?

4. oscar1

oscar1 Active Member

I just replaced my flight controller if that makes any difference and literally just went into cleanflight and connected. I checked all the solders and they're fine. I'm really confused what going on?

5. Badfish

Badfish JA.O.A.T.

It'll be easier to help with a list of your parts, and maybe some photos.

6. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Maybe this will help.

7. Cavcareer

Cavcareer Member

I tried this bids instructions to esc an got no tones, what’s up with that? Please thank you!

8. oscar1

oscar1 Active Member

Its okay, I managed to fix the problem, I just had to change the ESC/motor settings on cleanflight from Oneshot to PWM and it seemed to work, despite the fact the ESC's said they supported Oneshot. Try this, as you may have the same problem that I was having. If that doesn't work check the soldering on the flight controller and the joints from the ESC to the motors. Let me know how you get on.

9. dragger201

dragger201 If it ain't broke, don't fix it??? You kidding?

Oscar.............sometimes is something simply.........try plugging in your battery before you check the safety box.............

10. oscar1

oscar1 Active Member

That wasn't the issue that I was experiencing, but thanks.

11. dragger201

dragger201 If it ain't broke, don't fix it??? You kidding?

No problem..........that's what comes of not reading the whole thread before posting....................Happy New Year, Oscar...........

oscar1 likes this.
  12. mozquito1

Do you have blheli configuration tool or blheli suite.

13. mozquito1

What fcb & esc are you using?

14. mozquito1

Correct calibration is
    With no battery connection, & on motors tab. Check box, master slider up to max.
    Connect battery, master slide down.
    Di di di. Done. Disconnect battery.

15. mozquito1

Need to know what esc to sort the firmware you want to run. Are they bl-heli enabled. You need either blheli configuration tool (chrome) or blheli suite