Most common type of battery/power connector?

Discussion in 'Newb Guides' started by Steven Campbell, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Steven Campbell

Steven Campbell Well-Known Member

Simply, what is the most common type of connector for the batteries for drones, racing and such.

I'm working on getting batteries and I'd like to change the connectors over and get myself a universal set of batteries between whatever I get into.

Spork likes this.
  2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

3. Steven Campbell

4. Steven Campbell

Also, on the connector, which is always the ground, the square or the round?

5. Spork

Spork Well-Known Member

Negative/Black to the round - at least according to Painless360 (love his build videos). I've timestamped this build video to get you into the right spot.

6. Steven Campbell

Most commonly, what type of battery is used for racing drones and such.

4S?

I have some projects in mind that are not drone related and would be nice to have 1 general type of battery I could center the projects around.

7. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

For 1, 2, 3 series Lipo's on small quads I use xt30. On 200+ I use XT60 as these are 4S.

8. Steven Campbell

Looking at batteries, I see some 1300mah and some 1500mah S4 batteries.

At what size for the batteries is considered too big in terms of capacity for the run time.

I would figure a bigger battery for longer fly times but at what point does the added weight become too much for cruising around.

Drone size of about 210.

9. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi Steven you need as high a mah as you can get without to much weight Zippy compact batteries are good weight to mah

10. Steven Campbell

I bought 2 drones, 1 should arrive in 2 days, the other later, I have yet to buy a transmitter and probably won't for a few weeks still.

I'm moding my little H31 for a training/crashing drone, going to put a small fpv camera on it.

I may be tempted if the sale holds to grab a X215 but will see.

I can't wait to take them apart when they come.

Batteries and the transmitter are the next buys I think.

11. holtneil

If your going to crash a lot or race get loads of props and if the frame is not tough arms too you go through loads

12. mozquito1

Dont get me wrong, zippy are OK Lipo's.
    Just not good for acro, I find they don't like being pushed. I had a 1300mah oblong shape 3S & it puffed 2nd run.
    As you can see in the pictures below the turnigy nano is the same 3S mah & voltage as the zippy but smaller & about 12-15g lighter. Sorry they bad picture's, I'm taking a day off work with this flu. :confused:

13. holtneil

Strange i have loads never had one puff , yes nano are good mine took 3 years to puff and out of 5 i have one still flying

14. mozquito1

I think the reason it puffed was I had been using a 75c before & pushed it the same. I could still fly on it but most of my 3s I use for the groundstation.

15. Steven Campbell

Not planning on racing, I don't have the time to train my reflexes for that, nor do I have the time to race, plus I'm sure there isn't much happening on Mondays as that's my only day off lol.

Whether or not it's practical or doable, I'm thinking of ways to armor the drone, basically make it more impact resistant. Maybe it will happen, maybe not.

I primarily want video and cruising ability with agility

16. mozquito1

Ha I forgot to add them pictures.
    IMG_20180130_121732408-1024x575.jpg
    Same mah, but the nano a higher C rate.
    IMG_20180130_121813275-1024x575.jpg
    If I'm not flying with the camera on i will use this zippy or a tattu on my micro.
    IMG_20180114_093726879-1024x575.jpg

17. mozquito1

But if I just wanted to film scenery or take pictures on a non acro quad then I would have no problem in using a zippy.
    But knowing what I know, there is better lighter & more powerful Lipo's out there for obviously a bit more, but if your prepared to search a bit. Like I found some random seller with clothes, pans, cleaning products & 5 turnigy graphene 1300mah 4S on eBay for £9.99 each.
    Daylight robbed himself & I been rollin on them for nearly 2 years.
    Anyway back on topic, I reckon you could use the Xt30 on any 3S lipo. There is ppl putting 4s through them, but I don't run a 4s micro. But if I did I would try one.
    I was going to get the emax 1106 as they run 4s. But opted to try the 1106 racerstar for future cheap builds for ppl.
    I got a spare, but once it's gone I won't be getting anymore.

18. holtneil

If you beef up parts on the quad to protect it in a crash the force of the impact moves to another part of the quad ,so where you would normally snaps arm it could snap a frame plate ,this is why we don't beef up parts on RC Helicopters i fitted alloy arms on the servos of my 500 if it takes a dirt nap it smashes the servos at £50 each so on my 630 I used plastic arms then it's £15 for new arms not £90 servos

Spork likes this.
  19. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

My 3" Japalura has an XT30 and I use 4S 650 & 850 75C Tattus no problem

mozquito1 likes this.
  20. Steven Campbell

Not so much as beef them up but make them impact resistant through impact absorbtion.

If the arms are impacted, they will still take the impact but if they had a layer on that compressed or at least softened the blow of a pointed impact, the arms and frame would have a better survival rate I would hope.

Basically like an insulating or noodle like foam so it's rounded to be more aerodynamic but can provide some impact resistance.

Have a lot to consider before even trying it, how to best attach, will the protection cause cooling issues with the components, how to make it look good while still have protection, how easy will it be to replace sections, etc.

While I just had a ready to fly delivered yesturday, I have a lot more practice till it takes flight but at least I have something to play with.

holtneil likes this.