Little Quad Lost

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pdmike, Feb 9, 2018.

1. pdmike

pdmike Extremely Popular Member

No, I didn't lose my quad, but I don't INTEND on losing it either, so here comes this thread on finding lost quads.

What is the best device for locating a lost quad? I know they vary. I have an app on my iPhone called FindMyDrone, but it is very hard to figure out how to use it and it requires some pretty good capital outlay - I think they want a continuing, monthly/yearly payment. I don't necessarily mind the expense, but hate apps that are beyond my tech capabilities.

So what do you guys use? What's best? I anticipate doing a lot of flying in the foothill areas of the San Gabriel Valley (suburb of L.A.) where there are large areas of 3-4 foot high brush and chaparral, very thick. If my quad goes down, it isn't going to hurt it too much, but it will be hard to find, depending on how far out it is, of course.

Thoughts/suggestions?

2. Spork

Spork Well-Known Member

I've seen drone builds where they include a loud buzzer that automatically goes off when the failsafe kicks in or when they manually flip a switch on their controller.

I think I've seen where DJI owners have located their lost drones with an app (thought it was the DJI app, but not sure).

Not an expert, but a couple quick things that comes to mind are:
    Tile: https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/lost-drone-tracker It works on bluetooth, so your range is in the 100'-200' neighborhood.
    GPS tracker. Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-Portable-Personal-Vehicle/dp/B00JG8KCLO

pdmike likes this.
  3. pdmike

Well, I went right to work on the Internet, reviewed a number of these bad boys and finally ordered one. Loc8tor. Costs $94 out the door (delivered). Two very small, circular, transmitters that you attach to the quad with two-sided tape. You only need one per quad. They look to be about the size of a 50-cent piece or less. I guess you can use the other one on you wife. Anyway, this one comes highly recommended on the Net. I saw several YouTube demos and it looks good. 400-foot range. You walk in the last-known direction of the downed quad with a hand held remote about the size of your palm. Once you get within range, a beeping begins and lights come on. As you get closer, more and louder beeping and more lights that diminish if you are getting off line. Once you are on top of your lost quad, the hand held remote goes crazy.

In the case of a big-time fly-away, this isn't going to help you much. I guess in that event you would have to hope you could locate the general area using the DJI app and GPS - don't know; not an expert on fly-aways and hope I never have to become one.

Best thing to do, of course, is never lose your quad but, if you do .....

Positives - you replace the battery, it is not rechargeable. Claims a battery life of one year. Also, no monthly or yearly contract fees. One-time only price. This is because it is a totally self contained locator, not dependent on GPS data.

Negative - long delivery time. It comes from the U.K. Up to 14 business days, which translates into approximately 5 years. Just kidding - but it's going to be almost a month before the sucker shows up on my doorstep. When I get it, I will (of course) test it out with a game of hide-the-quad, and let y'all know how it worked for me.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    KentA and Spork like this.
  4. Spork

Spork Well-Known Member

Awesome. I'll keep that one in mind when I need one.

pdmike likes this.
  5. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to your review.

Spork and pdmike like this.
  6. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

Me, too!

pdmike likes this.
  7. pdmike

Well, I won't be able to give it to you until mid-March, so don't hold your breath(s). But we'll get her done!

KentA likes this.
  8. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Dronekeeper mini.
    dk_02-800x757.jpg
    dk_03-800x579.jpg
    These are the loudest piezo buzzer around. Sadly I can't source them.

pdmike and Spork like this.
  9. Fly high

Fly high Well-Known Member

Well I lost my first drone that I got as a present on Christmas from the wife. I talked about it on another thread. I said from now on I would put a label on my quads with my phone number.
    Well it happened again with the drone I bought to replace the lost one. I had my number on it. It flew away Thursday afternoon. Saturday I got a call from a guy two blocks away and he had my drone. He said he found it on its feet, landed perfectly. It was 20’feet away from a pond. It worked perfectly. I have him a small reward, which he kindly tried to refuse, but I insisted.

10. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

RENOV8R needs LOC8TOR

11. pdmike

Of course. Then you can be a true, DRONEAPPRECI8TOR.

RENOV8R and Spork like this.
  12. pdmike

The first thing I did was put my name and three phone numbers (home, work, cell) on my drone as well as my FAA registration number. Very important to do that.

Spork and mozquito1 like this.
  13. mozquito1

your fingerprints & DNA :eek: on it aswell

If I had to apply a number it would be etched but covered with tape. That's the only way. I don't want someone spying my numbers unless it warrants it.

14. pdmike

Yeah, but I'm not paranoid. ;)

Spork likes this.
  15. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

Besides, if Moz gets arrested it will be good for your legal profession.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 11:04 PM
    pdmike, mozquito1 and Spork like this.
  16. Spork

Spork Well-Known Member

Alright, now you guys have got that old INXS song going in my head. As payback for the ear worm, here's the video.

pdmike likes this.
  17. Spork

Spork Well-Known Member

Is it really paranoia if they're actually spying? :p

pdmike likes this.
  18. mozquito1

Mwah mwah mwah the phones & drives are toast. 7 minutes in the microwave
    Ding & I swallowed the SD. :D

19. pdmike

Of course not. As one of my client's once said: "You'd be paranoid too if people were after YOU."

KentA and Spork like this.
  20. mozquito1

It really is paranoia & they are really spying. o_O:rolleyes::confused::eek::(:mad::oops: