LIPO. LIPO ION, BATTERYS EXPLODING !!!

P

psicmar-6

Lipo or Lipo ion batteries in fact are quite dangerous. the are build using a mix of chemicals that together form a mix very unstable. the main reason that they swell up is not exactly because the number of cycles all do is possible. also quick charge currents may cause it more like it. but usually is because they are charged while they are still warm after a flight. This not may have to be right the way it may take a few charges in the same fashion, to avoid this is to wait a few hours or even best let them to cool down overnight before recharge.

The reason they catch fire immediately or out of the blue is because the unstable mix of chemicals SHOULD NOT BE IN CONTACT WITH OXYGEN IN ANY FORMS WHAT SO EVER, THIS COMBINATION IS LETHAL. From caching fire to a severe explosion. it only needs a small opening of the protective wrapping to let the oxygen to get in, even a puncture the size off a needle prick would be enough. That is why the time frame of this happening. i strongly suggest that after a big crash do not go running to check the damage immediately, which is very understandable, but wait minutes at least, before you check your quad. you can have an accident. the bigger the battery the worst. trust me i have seen it happen, and is very impressive and dangerous when they explode.The explosion will destroy your quad in to pieces.

what you mention before about the precautions to have storing them or charging them are perfect, i think you can also do all that using those Pyrex containers use for cooking and they can handle very high temperatures, such as fire and even more, they are very strong glass an you can see the inside very clearly.

i know is an understatement but never leave your batterys any kind, unattended when you charge them