Kiss set up motors twitching when arm

Discussion in 'First Build' started by Christopher Lee, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Christopher Lee

Christopher Lee New Member

I have been building my first quad and I am loving it. Unfortunately, I have hit a bit of a roadblock. Here is what I am using and running. Kiss FC, Kiss escs, 1200 kV motors, x4r sbus. I am using dshot 600.

When I plug in my battery into my quad and hit my arm switch my motors turn on and they appear to spin up together at the same time. There is no jittering in the motors. When I put a set of props on the motors, certain motors start to jitter when I arm. This only happens when I have my props on. When there is tape on my motor shafts this doesn't happen. Is only happens to one motor at a time. Sometimes it goes to a different motor.

This has been confusing me for a while now. I have checked my solder points on my esc's for shorts. I have also increased my speed of the motors at which I arm my drone at. None of this has worked. I have uploaded my firmware through the kiss gui. I have been told that dshot does do not need calibration. Is there some sort of calibration that dshot does need? What should I do to expose this problem? What could it be? If anyone out there sees this and has any sort of advise I would be grateful to hear you out. Thank you,

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Have you tried setting your ESC protocol to multishot, maybe a compatibility issue

3. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Have you had it flying yet, or is this a problem on the build?
    I don't run kiss so i can't explain the GUI.
    I would suggest try turning your motors to idle at arming. & just try flying it.
    Are you sure the ground wires are on the correct motor pins, I know if I haven't any props on & it's on the desk & throttle is at 10% then certain motors will twitch because the desk is not perfectly level & the quad is trying to compensate but there is no props. Just try & fly it.

4. Christopher Lee

I have tried to fly but I have an instaflip. I know that this is common. I have gone through and checked the signal wiers and motor order alon whith prop direction and prom mounting. I am not a good pilot by any means so I was wondering how hard is it to take off?

I have not tried changing my esc protocol but that's what I was wondering. I am going to try multishot.

5. Christopher Lee

Excuse my awful grammar.

6. mozquito1

Mine is terrible I'm on a phone so I partially txt write. Try resetting the board. On betaflight it's on the first setup tab next to gyro calibrate. Reset gyro while @ it. Make sure quad is on a level surface.

7. mozquito1

Rotor riot on YouTube have a kiss build & setup video. Maybe worth a watch.
    Maybe a bit dated but the basics are there.

8. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Your grammar is excellent. I note in your pic that the board is rotated 90 degrees clockwise, so the only setting in your configuration should either yaw = 90 or yaw = 270. Even though you're an inexperienced pilot, it's not difficult to take and what you're describing is what I call the "Tazmanian Devil Effect". Can you post a quick pic of your quad showing the props mounted or even more ideal, a video with the props spinning for a split second.

9. mozquito1

This said Tanzanian devil effect is what had happened to me. 2 whole weeks off work checking, resoldering. Then on the last night off, you said on here to try a board reset & it worked. That's all it needed.