I'm calling this one Radnoceros-X

Discussion in 'Build Logs' started by RENOV8R, Mar 6, 2018.

1. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Rad for the Radix flight controller
    noceros for the Flynoceros Cerberus V2 frame
    X for the XRotor 4 in 1 ESC

The Big Brown Truck brought a bunch of stuff last night, just need a couple more parts and I'll do a full list. I'm planning on doing a fairly detailed build log as some of the parts are fairly new to the market (and some like the Cerberus frame are just plain cool :cool:) More to come...........

Flyno 002.JPG Flyno 006.JPG

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Drools:eek: very nice.

RENOV8R likes this.
  3. RENOV8R

I'll start with my 1st impressions of the frame. This is the Flynoceros Cerberus V2 and happens to be 1 of the 5 frames listed for the MultiGP Spec class, and is 240 mm motor to motor. It also happens to be my new favorite frame due to it's innovative design, quality and multiple build options. The first thing you'll notice is that Flynos has steered away from the traditional top/bottom plate and instead uses what I would describe as a bottom plate and a pod (sort of) and every edge and cutout is chamfered and polished to avoid any chance of abrasion of wires or battery strap etc. One of the cool features is the side rails which just clip onto the front of the bottom plate and are fastened at the rear with floating locknuts in the side rails. As you'll see later, this means that the whole top can be removed to expose the electronics by simply removing 2 screws. My kit came with lots of 3D printed TPU parts that can be used individually or separately and can all be connected with the use of horizontal standoffs which bolt to the frame. It also came with nice arm/motor protectors which can be taken on and off, even with the motors mounted. The top includes the carbon fibre side rails, TPU camera protector and canopy. Also included are numerous rear antenna mounts for basically any antenna/vtx setup on the market. The bare frame comes in at 84 grams but with the additional TPU parts makes it 99 grams, although it may be slightly lighter as I've replaced all the provided hardware with titanium screws. Here's a few pics
    013.JPG 010.JPG 014.JPG 004.JPG 016.JPG 018.JPG 021.JPG 024.JPG

4. RENOV8R

Didn't get much done this weekend (spring trout run is starting) but I did get one issue worked out. One of the real nice touches of the Cerb frame is the countersunk holes for mounting the flight controller stack so the battery doesn't sit on the bumps of the buttonhead screws. Problem was that I couldn't get the 4 in 1 ESC and FC mounted with the hardware provided unless I did some kind of Mickey Mouse setup with a standoff on top of a standoff on top of a standoff. Took 5 or 6 stores but I finally found some M3 X 20mm countersunk screws that are going to work perfectly

eagle 025.JPG eagle 044.JPG

roger jones likes this.
  5. mozquito1

What happened to the Qav build?

6. RENOV8R

Hmm, maybe I forgot to write the last chapter. It's done and it flies

roger jones likes this.
  7. mozquito1

Soz I must have missed it. I'll look back. busy then this summer.?
    Do you have to pay/license, to fish out there.
    Im more sea fishing as we don't have to pay for that. Not since I took up this hobby though.

8. RENOV8R

Yes we have to pay a yearly fee for a fishing licence, but I do get my moneys worth........We're pretty lucky here in Southern Ontario to have an amazing fishery

9. mozquito1

We have to travel up north to Scotland for the decent stuff. Well, worth eating anyway. I don't really eat that much different fish. Red salmon, cod, sardines & crab or lobster. But lots of it.

Spork likes this.
  10. RENOV8R

Got quite a bit done last night. Going with the Brother Hobby motors again, this time the R5 Deadpool 2306 2450kv. Probably the biggest difference from a typical build is the BrainFPV Radix flight controller. Not your typical MPU600 gyro, the Radix uses the Bosch BM1160. F4 processor with SD card slot, built-in barometer and soft-mount grommets. Also the only FC on the market with full graphics OSD so you can create your own custom splashscreen, etc. It also has one of the nicest pin layouts I've yet seen. You can do the usual 4 ESCs and PDB setup, but Martin & Jenn at BrainFPV have designed the Radix to be plug and play with the HobbyWing X-Rotor 40amp 4 in 1 ESC which is what I've gone with. Not a big fan of plugs and ports but it does keep the wiring nice and neat. So I'm on hold now, waiting for the FRSky R-XSR receiver to arrive (and the Taranis X9D Plus that goes with it woot woot)

eagle 027.JPG eagle 041.JPG eagle 031.JPG

11. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

[​IMG]

mozquito1 likes this.
  12. mozquito1

You win the lottery or somthing :p

Spork likes this.
  13. RENOV8R

Nope, just good clean livin' :D

Spork and mozquito1 like this.
  14. RENOV8R

Hahaha Jim Carrey actually only lives an hour away from me. And even better, Rachel McAdams grew up a few doors down from me hubba hubba. Funny, I don't see her around much anymore....................

Spork likes this.
  15. mozquito1

& I hope it continues ;)

Spork and RENOV8R like this.
  16. RENOV8R

It's been a bit but the camera and R-XSR receiver finally showed up and I can get back at it. The Runcam Eagle 2 has been getting rave reviews and it just so happens that it matches the Deadpool motors. One of the biggest changes over the original Eagle is the OSD port with connection to the camera control pin on the Radix FC.

Cerb V2 010.JPG

mozquito1 likes this.
  17. RENOV8R

Instead of standoffs and a top plate the Cerb uses side plates and a TPU top cover making it a strictly bottom mount battery. Even the top cover is well thought out. It connects to the front camera protector with a horizontal standoff and has channels that the zip ties run through to hold the IRC Tramp vtx and R-XSR receiver in place. 014.JPG 012.JPG

mozquito1, Dugdog47 and Spork like this.
  18. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

Loving the progress reports and your clean design. I can’t decide which I enjoy more build threads or flying videos!

RENOV8R and roger jones like this.
  19. roger jones

roger jones Well-Known Member

Like the cable socks, but not ready to solder to PCBs yet. One day :)

Spork likes this.
  20. RENOV8R

Nothing to it. Just grab a 40 watt soldering iron, an old circuit board and some 18 awg wire and have at 'er. You'll be an expert in no time.

roger jones and Spork like this.