HMF U580

Discussion in 'Build Logs' started by RENOV8R, Apr 29, 2016.

1. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Thought I'd start a thread on my 2nd build, the U580. I've assembled the frame and popped on the Tarot T4-3D gimbal the to see how it looks and make a game plan as to how everything is going to be located, but can't really do much more until motors and ESC's arrive. I'll be using the Tarot ZYX-M flight controller, probably get it all mounted up this weekend and play around a little bit with the GCU

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      125.2 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      131.4 KB
      Views:
    ringolong likes this.
  2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Didya get the Git?

3. RENOV8R

Sure did, it's on it's way. The last of everything I ordered or need was Immersion monitor with diversity receiver. Still waiting on motors, ESC, etc. to get going, so guess what showed up today? You guessed it - the monitor. Sweet looking unit though.

4. RENOV8R

I stand corrected, it's the Aomway HD 518 monitor. Remember changing my mind at the last minute after watching some youtube reviews. Higher resolution and built-in DVR.

5. RENOV8R

Just an update, getting closer. Besides the frame, Tarot FC and gimbal, I've now got all the video equipment, 4X4S lipos, 4 sets of 10 & 12 inch props, red, black & white silicone wire from 12 to 20 gauge, 100 assorted zipties, new roll of solder, 2 rolls of 2 sided sticky tape, OSD, LED light kit. Seems I'm forgetting something...........Oh yeah, I don't have motors or ESC's yet hahahaha

6. RENOV8R

Got the Git haha. I won't bother to do a review as it's already been done. But I will say that anyone looking for an economic alternative, sure this is a GoPro clone but it's certainly not a cheap knockoff. The quality is very good including the waterproof case. Packaging is very good and it comes with lots of accessories. Brackets for mounting on tripod, as dashcam, handlebar mount, one for fishing rod, net, etc. Thanks for the recommendation

7. RENOV8R

Camera setup with the Git 2 Pro and Tarot T4-3D gimbal. It needed some calibration but I'm quite impressed. Very smooth and totally silent

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      129.4 KB
      Views:
  8. RENOV8R

Well, I got everything done and wired up late last night. Pretty pumped. Just got done hooking up the ZYX-M to the 'puter and it connected right away. Nice. First thing I checked was motors and motor 1 spins in the correct rotation. Great start! Motors 2, 3 and 4 - ALL need to be reversed. Geez, I was hoping for at least 50% hahaha. Oh well, back to the soldering board........

9. RENOV8R

Up pretty late last night but got the ZYX-M programmed and it went a lot smoother than I thought. Just a basic setup so far with only channel 5 flight modes done. Arms no problem and I'm testing in Attitude mode. 1/2 stick and motors 2, 3 and 4 spin up just like they're supposed to. But motor 1 just kinda twitches until I'm up to 3/4 throttle and after a couple seconds it kicks in and catches up to the other motors. Back to half throttle and it goes back into twitch mode. I haven't calibrated the ESCs yet so I'm hoping that's the only problem, but if not I might have a faulty one. Oh well, I'll do a little motor swapping and see if I can track it down. Might be as simple as a cold solder somewhere.

Quick pic of the finished product (minus camera)

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      92.3 KB
      Views:
    ringolong likes this.
  10. RENOV8R

Success!! Made my first flight tonight. Just in Attitude because I just played around behind the house and not a lot of room and secondly, the ZYX-M won't connect to satellites. A little anxious because I've never flown anything near this big but it flew like a charm and even with a fair breeze, it's ROCK SOLID. Using a 4S and I timed for 10 minutes of some flying short distance and some hovering, battery was at 16.1 V after 5 minutes of rest. So I can see getting 15 of easy flying no problem. Between working on it intermittently and waiting for parts, this took 2 months. I'm a very happy camper right now.

RGJameson likes this.
  11. RENOV8R

So, first try at uploading a vid to youtube. Boring vid of first flight. I'm kinda stuck in the trees (I guess you could say restricted airspace hahaha) but you can see it's pretty stable and landing gear works great. It's not at all twitchy, that's just me cuz I was nervous as hell

12. Jackson

Says 'This video is private' :(

13. RENOV8R

14. Jackson

All good. :)

15. Jackson

You play the banjo?

16. RENOV8R

Sure do, plink plink

17. RENOV8R

Funny story actually. This was back in my drinking days, took all the time to get dressed up, set up the camera for self-portrait. All proud of myself how it turned out until I realized DAMN I forgot to put my boots on hahahaha

Attached Files:

• 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      74.6 KB
      Views:
  18. Jackson

19. RENOV8R

That's the coolest1 He has it set up in D-tuning and it's amazing how the low notes resonate. Keep me posted, this would be an off-topic build thread that would be well worth the price of admission