HELP - Visuo xs809w doesn't link to the controller

Discussion in 'RTF Modification & Repair' started by Senrian, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Senrian

Senrian Member

First post, not sure if this is the correct section to post this, but it seems the forum lacks troubleshooting section. I would post a link to gearbest but i cannot with an account this new.

It arrived not even a week ago and it already gave me a headache. The problem is - no matter what i do, the drone does not link to the controller. Ever. I tried to search solution everywhere, heck, even bought a spare controller, the same model that came with the drone and it still does not want to link.

Normally what i do, and what is written on the manual - Start the drone, turn on the controller, the drone lights should start flashing rapidly, that's how the drone detects the controller, but my drone never starts rapidly flashing, the lights flash very slowly. I am clueless at this point as the drone connects to my phone without any problem and i can fly it with smartphone, but it's just way worse than the controller.

I also bought spare batteries and changing them does not help. Same with the controller AAA batteries, changed them a few times and it doesn't seem to be their fault.

Please help. Im really tempted to just throw the drone out of the window at this point!

2. Spork

Spork Well-Known Member

Hey Senrian, you can post links after your third post, I believe. No worries though.

Did a quick search and found two bits of info for you. One was about people experiencing binding trouble if the batteries were not fully charged (on the quad). Sounds like you've tried that already.

The other was from this review: http://www.drone-maniac.com/test-visuo-xs809hw/

If you decide to use the radio, you need first to bind the radio to the quad then connect the machine to the app.

If it were me, I would first disconnect the phone from the quad. Delete app from phone if there is no easy way to do it from inside the app.
    Then bind the radio to the quad.
    Then reinstall app and re-connect it to the quad.

If this doesn't work, hopefully others will be along with some information.

Senrian likes this.
  3. Senrian

Senrian Member

Thanks for the fast reply!
    I tried your suggestion but it does not work. I do not link the drone with the app before i start it up. It's written in the manual that the controller needs to be bound to the drone first. But well... it does not bind at all as i already described. Moreso, it does not bind to two controllers - one that came with the drone and one that i bought thinking the first one might be damaged or broken. I have a weird feeling that this might be the batteries fault, but then again i charged FIVE batteries, each one for about 40-60 minutes. And again, no change.

Spork likes this.
  4. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Try turning on the drone then turning on the controller. Now push both sticks down and in and hold. If it doesn't go to rapid flashing, try sticks down and out. I still nothing the I agree, throw it out the window

Senrian and Spork like this.
  5. Spork

Spork Well-Known Member

Hmm. The other thing I noticed when searching was quite a few people complain about this problem and NOT figuring it out. Their solution was to send it back for a new one. I don't know anything about this brand so I can't advise on whether switching brands is a better option than just return and replace.

Regarding, the battery charging, the posts I read were around testing battery voltage with a multi-meter to be sure they were fully topped off. Not sure of your battery but on my little quad (3.7v 750mah) they usually take a good 90 minutes to charge fully.

Senrian likes this.
  6. Senrian

Senrian Member

RENOV8R, believe me im really tempted to! The problem is that the drone just does not go into binding mode. When i turn it on it's lights are flashing slowly. Then, after turning on the controller, it's supposed to start flashing rapidly when it detects the radio. My drone just does not go into the rapid flashing setting, as if it cannot see the controller.

Spork, well, i do not really want to send it back just yet. I had trouble even finding any information about my problem. Plus in every single video i saw (and there was plenty of them, it's my first quad) the drone worked just fine and started on the first try. I will try fiddling about with the batteries for now.

7. RENOV8R

Like Spork said, you need to check your batteries to make sure they're fully charged to 4.2 volts. As you've said that it's doing the same thing with any of the 5 batteries, I highly doubt they are the problem but possibly the charger itself or the process you are using to charge them.

8. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

For safety I would assume you power the Tx, make sure all switches are correct & the quad is un armed. Then power the quad. This is how I do it anyway as you may have knocked a switch & when the quad comes on there is input. If you happen to knock the arm switch & the throttle is up a bit then your getting a free nose job.

Senrian likes this.
  9. RENOV8R

It's harmless

Senrian likes this.
  10. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

At this point, I would video with your phone while you go through the turning on and trying to bind process, then contact Gearbest for a replacement. It sounds like an issue with the flight control board.

Senrian likes this.
  11. Senrian

Senrian Member

If it's the flight control board issue, wouldn't it have problems connecting with the phone app via wifi? Because the drone works and connects flawlessly to my phone. Just the controller(s) have a really hard time trying to connect to it.

12. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Safety is safety. If he upgrades & carries the same habits over to more powerful equipment, it can be dangerous.
    I got scars to prove it.

13. Spork

Spork Well-Known Member

Ouch. Good reminder Moz. I’ve seen some scarred faces on YouTube from that.

Senrian likes this.
  14. Senrian

Senrian Member

Alright, last question before i decide to send this thing back to gearbest... Maybe it's the remote controller getting de-calibrated for some reason? The manual does not say anything about how to calibrate it, so that's just a loose idea that came to my mind recently. And repeating my question, can it really be flight control board issue if the drone connects to my phone flawlessly but can't find signal to connect to the controller?

EDIT: i have found this on the gearbest page for the drone.

Why the indicator light of the quadcopter is flashing?

1. The quadcopter is not binding to the transmitter correctly, please refer to the user manual to re-modulate the frequency;

2. Battery power is insufficient, recharge the battery.

15. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

I missed that it connects to a smart phone and flies. In any case, if it had this issue out of the box, I'd take a video and go to Gearbest for a replacement. Frustrating I know (just went through it with a quad I bought for my son for Christmas!), but they will likely tell you to keep the existing one and ship you a replacement. You could end up with a "parts quad" for your trouble.