Help!!! Controller input no longer registering in BetaFlight!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wallman, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Wallman

Wallman Member

Hello everyone!

So I am relatively new to the world of Drones and I have a huge issue I cannot seem to figure out. A few weeks back i purchased an Eachine Wizard 220s with FlySky I6. Out of the box I was able to get it all configured with BetaFlight and was flying in no time!

Fast forward to this past Saturday, I was tinkering around with my controller and BetaFlight. I ended up making a few changes and had to re flash my Omnibus F4 v3 due my mistakes.

Now I am unable to see any Controller input when in beta flight. I.e. When I plug my drone into beta flight it’s able to connect. When I click on the “Receiver” tab it’s not what I’m used to seeing now. The controller will not register when moving the sticks. There is no movement on the bars if I flip any switches. It seems like something is configured wrong after trying to fix my mistake.

I am able to verify that my FlySky controller and FlySky mini receiver are bound correctly. I am able to plug a battery in and use beta flight to test motors.

I have done a ton of research but still cant seem to figure out why im not getting any display from my controller input on BetaFlight

Flysky FS-i6X remote control
    Flysky FS-A8S receiver

Thanks a ton for reading!

Wallman

2. LoneRCRanger

LoneRCRanger Well-Known Member

I have no idea what to do or what you possibly did. Good luck fixing it, Maybe someone on the forum will be able to provide some insight.

Wallman likes this.
  3. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

When you flash new firmware onto a flight controller and don't have your diff saved from prior version to paste into your CLI, you're basically starting from scratch for your configuration. Sounds like you don't have the correct (or any) UART enabled in your ports tab for serial rx

Wallman likes this.
  4. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Or ppm rx input, in config tab or ibus if you use that.

Wallman likes this.
  5. mozquito1

Also in config tab the esc protocol may have changed.
    Oneshot maybe default, so change to multi or dshot, whatever you use.

Wallman likes this.
  6. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

I've become a believer in the "if it works don't fix it" saying when it comes to flashing firmware.

Wallman likes this.
  7. Dugdog47

When setting up my wizard I followed everything this guy says very closely:

The only difference from his setup that I did:
    He disabled his accelerometer, I didn't.
    He enabled air mode, I didn't.

Follow everything else he says and your wizard will fly great!

Wallman likes this.
  8. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

What you need to do is go into the Github and read the release notes when a new firmware is released. It'll tell you what has been updated, added, what bugs have been fixed. Sometimes it's just a small thing that doesn't make any difference but sometimes something very cool has been added (turtle mode and dynamic filtering come to mind) in which case you may want to update

Wallman and mozquito1 like this.
  9. mozquito1

I have airmode enabled all time.
    Does your copter go nuts or stall at low throttle. Mine doesn't. Little off on landings but you get used to it.

Wallman likes this.
  10. Dugdog47

I've only tried air mode once on my qx95 and it went nuts, haven't tried it on the wizard yet. Maybe I'm missing out on a good thing?

Wallman likes this.
  11. mozquito1

You will only notice it at low throttle & I did need to play around with low end values on the esc side.

Wallman likes this.
  12. Wallman

Wallman Member

Thank you everyone! it ended up being the Serial switch under the "Ports" tab. I had to enable it on UART6 and it started to respond after a FC save and reboot!.

Now i have to figure out the config for these motors lol one doesn't spin and i think it has to do with the ESC/Motor settings in betaflight

Thanks again everyone!!

13. Wallman

Wallman Member

This was the Golden Ticket! :):D:):D

14. mozquito1

In blheli, check the low end throttle range are all the same. Then make sure they are the same in the configuration tab.

I have mine at 1016 as that's when all my motors spin up properly together. So that's my lowest esc value. & the top end is 1980.

Wallman likes this.
  15. Wallman

Wallman Member

i have never heard of that "Blheli" before. is this the program you use to talk to the motors? kinda like betaflight is for the FC?

mozquito1 likes this.
  16. mozquito1

You got it;)
    If you ain't got blheli you can't do anything in pass through on the fcb.
    Simonk can only be calibrated in motors tab after you have already throttle calibrated them before you build.
    With a servo tester.
    If it does not say blheli then don't buy them. OK for a media build as you get longer flight times & less crashes compared to an acro build.
    I used them on my first build
    IMG_20160604_195601187-1024x575.jpg
    Looking back I know why they needed calibration after every session out.
    For £5.69 & little knowledge of the hobby,
    Expected. I still buy cheap but tested by me for years. I got the same FVT littlebee 20a Pro running for nearly 3 years now.
    Over 2 frames. Well over 200 cycles on multistage. I've not used dshot yet as I couldn't see any difference from Oneshot to multi shot & as I understand multishot is still the fastest, but no calibration needed for dshot. So I'm OK as I use pidflight on my moby if needed.

17. LoneRCRanger

After reading all this and viewing, in part, the setup video, I have come to the conclusion that I might as well go back to the propeller and rubber band. It's much less difficult to understand and it works. Without a class in whatever the presenter in the video is talking about, leaves me speechless and feeling really dumb. My quads just fly and don't apparently need a service technician with a degree in electronic wizardry to understand what the guy in the video is talking about. One final comment --- what the f--- is he talking about???

18. mozquito1

Some newcomers on forums don't seem bothered to even put a list together themselves. They may as well just get a rtf. I'd have a small bet they're not even hitting 100, no that's far to generous.
    Let's say 50 posts before they give up.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  19. Dugdog47

It's really not that difficult. When you buy ARF (almost ready to fly) quad you have to install a receiver, bind it to your transmitter, then set up your ports, modes aux switches and whatnot in betaflight. I felt lost at first too but luckily there are people out there like Joshua Bardell who make videos.

20. LoneRCRanger

Thanks Dugdog47...