1. NOTICE: We're currently noticing some EMAIL DELIVERY ISSUES to Outlook and Hotmail email addresses. If you're a new member and don't receive your confirmation email, feel free to reach out to us via the contact link at the bottom right of the page.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello Everybody

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Chris21, Nov 14, 2017 at 2:38 PM.

1. Chris21

Chris21 Member

I'm Chris 44 years old. I am a drone enthusiast here. I have a DJI Spark which I absolutely love and a friend of mine gave me a Syma X5SW that he never took out of the box. The pics are screenshots from a video. I saw a hawk in my tree and went in for a closer look. I do know that birds of prey attack drones but I just had to try and get a close up of this hawk. I am enjoying the Syma but the camera is just awful so I unplugged it in hopes of getting a longer battery life.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 2:50 PM
  2. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

Welcome to the forum

3. Jeff Neese

Jeff Neese Well-Known Member

Hopefully you not only unplugged it, but removed the camera altogether. Also remove the prop guards if you haven't already.

4. Chris21

Chris21 Member

I removed the camera from it so far. I will say she is pretty quick for what it is. World's away from my Spark but I am enjoying the Syma almost as much. I like having two drones that are completely different.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 6:54 PM
  5. Jeff Neese

I don't think you can even call the Syma a "drone". It's a completely manual quadcopter that doesn't do anything at all on its own. You have to fly it. You'll probably become a better pilot. Then the next step is to get something with acro mode and get good flying that, and then you might never pick up the Spark again except when you want to film something. ;)

6. Chris21

Chris21 Member

Idk man, I do really like my Spark. For what the Syma is it is cool, I dig it and it has some pep to it. I def can't complain about the price I paid for it. I just tried the 360 roll today. I've only had it since Saturday, I like that trick. I'm taking my 12 year old and probably my oldest to a big field with all of our toys this weekend and tear sh%t up. I have all kinds of nice RC related cars, helicopters etc. I would like to build a drone/quadcopter sometime after Christmas. I don't care too much if it has a camera on it or not. I'm after speed and maneuverability.

7. Chris21

Chris21 Member

@Jeff Neese what is the advantage of taking those prop protectors off of the Syma?

8. Jeff Neese

Then your next step definitely should be something with acro. Doing flips and rolls with the Syma might be fun at first, but really you're just pushing a button and the quad is doing a pre-programmed flip. Get something with acro and then you've got complete, manual maneuverability in your hands. Everyone will tell you how satisfying it was when they did their first barrel roll or flip all by themselves, manually. Then you'll be hooked. I still fly my Symas, a lot, because like you said they're fun. But flying acro takes maneuverability to an entirely new level. It sounds like you'd love it.

9. Jeff Neese

Less weight, less wind resistance, and the quad doesn't get caught in tree branches as easily. Most of us call prop guards "tree hangers" and that's pretty accurate. I'm assuming you're only flying it outdoors.

10. Chris21

Chris21 Member

I'm in man. lol

11. Chris21

Chris21 Member

That makes sense. Thanks

12. Chris21

Chris21 Member

Thanks for all the info man. Have a great evening and I understand the need for a camera for use with VR Goggles. That's in response for me saying idc if it has a camera or not. Cheers