Ground Station build...

Discussion in 'FPV Systems' started by Steven Campbell, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Steven Campbell

Steven Campbell Well-Known Member

Putting together a case for a ground station, I have a basic reciever till a diversity reciever arrives, starting building it earlier this evening.

I will probably install an IMAX-B6 charger inside the case as well.

7" LCD, basic reciever for the moment, have a couple of 12v sockets in the case already plus a voltage meter.

I have two 5m antenna extension cables for the elevated antennas I will be putting up.

I have solar panels I can link up, two 18v 10w panels I can use to help power the case on the go.

The basic FPV goggles I have, have a video input.

Should be a fun build. 1518417886078-287948733.jpg

mozquito1 and Spork like this.
  2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

IMG_20170820_125139033_crop_582x832.jpg
    This is my setup. Duo 5.8 V4.1
    It's sits on a 6' selfie stick while I sit in my chair with the quanum V2 on.

Spork and Steven Campbell like this.
  3. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

So pardon my ignorance, I'm only familiar with people using goggles and a radio, but what is the purpose of the ground station @Steven Campbell ?

And same question for you @mozquito1 what does your selfie stick thing do that is different than the people I've seen with diversity straight on their googles?

I mean my first obvious guess is more range or power or something, but definitely interested in learning.

4. Steven Campbell

Typically, the higher up an antenna, the better signal your going to get open air with less interference from nearby objects.

With this ground station I'm building, I will be able to share/show real time what my flights are with others. No goggles needed, just watch the screen.

I will be integrating a battery charger as well so I can charge my drone batteries at the same time.

I will also be assembling another case specifically designating for mass charging.

I have 1 DC IMAX-B6 charger for the ground station and for the second case I will be building, I have 3 more IMAX-B6 DC chargers and if there is room, I'll install my IMAX-B6AC charger as well.

Will configure the charging case to run on AC or DC power with some 12v 4ah power supplies I have...

I already have a 100w portable solar panel I can rig up for overnight trips where I will be taking the drones too so my drones will eventually be solar powered. Built onto my car is 200w of solar power so I should have enough power to support heavy drone flying...

BL Swagger and Spork like this.
  5. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

Gotcha, thanks Steven. Having learned that, then I can guess that Moz's selfie stick is mostly about getting additional height as you mention.

6. mozquito1

The duo is basically a better version of what's in the goggles, supposedly o_O just minus the screens.
    Yes the stick is for height while I sit down not worrying about head placement. The battery just hooks onto the stick.
    I since found a 4' tripod that closes down to 6inches I just need to find or make an attachment to attach the rod on top for the extra foot or two.

Spork likes this.
  7. BL Swagger

BL Swagger Well-Known Member

I love this idea. Thanks for sharing!

After I master GPS, this will be my next project.

Do you know of any sources I can start educating myself with?

mozquito1 likes this.
  8. mozquito1

Sorry I'm a barebones acro flyer.
    But I can point you to a veritable source of all things quad, PAINLESS360
    On YouTube. If I need to know stuff, he is that Man.

BL Swagger and Spork like this.
  9. Steven Campbell

When I finish up the basic outline of my case, I'll post up what parts I used and how I built it...

If anyone is interested that is...

10. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

Thanks, Moz, so you just run a wire for power and video feed from the box to your goggles, then?

mozquito1 likes this.
  11. mozquito1

2 points connected to a XT60 & a single video cable. If I could wear goggles I probably would get them, but I just got to make the best & I'm happy.

Spork likes this.
  12. Steven Campbell

Functional, still waiting on other better components to arrive in the mail.

Got to install a ground bar and mount the various bits, each component has its own fused connection. Main power switch, have to wire in the voltage meter and 12v outlets still but I'm awaiting the ground block.

Will probably wire in a second battery on its own switch as a reserve.

20180212_200603.jpg

mozquito1, BL Swagger and Spork like this.
  13. mozquito1

It would just fit on top of the quanum goggles, but my head yaws all over the place like stevie wonder.
    Only his gob isn't catching flies.

Spork likes this.
  14. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

I'd start singing "Isn't he lovely", but with the mental image of your gob catching flies, I'll refrain. :cool:

mozquito1 likes this.
  15. Steven Campbell

Wear bug netting.....

mozquito1 and Spork like this.
  16. mozquito1

I forgot about the slobber :eek:

Spork likes this.
  17. Steven Campbell

Slobber Bib.....

Spork likes this.
  18. mozquito1

I've never got a clean one.
    Anyway the lads will take the pisss. :oops:

Spork likes this.
  19. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

I've just spent an hour looking for a pic or video of the Benny Hill scene with the drool bucket, but couldn't find one. Had a lot of laughs that reminded me of watching that show with my dad when I was a kid.

mozquito1 likes this.
  20. mozquito1

Aah Benny Hill, saucy old git is a blast from the past. It's probably because of him I like big zoobs.

Spork likes this.