Flight Controller not Powering on when on Battery

Discussion in 'First Build' started by ryandevine16, Dec 19, 2017.

1. ryandevine16

ryandevine16 New Member

When I first plug and configure my Flight Controller (Naze32 Rev 5) to my computer via USB the flight controller has power. When I try to power the flight controller with batter power nothing happens. In the image you can see that I have 5V power coming from the PDB to my flight controller. What am I missing? Am I not connecting my power properly from my PDB to my FC?

PDB to FC.jpg

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

You need to supply it 5v to power it. Does your pdb have a 5v out.? Or an esc that supplies 5v (probably not).

3. ryandevine16

ryandevine16 New Member

So is the 5v + and - that the cables are coming from not the PDB 5v output?

4. mozquito1

I can't make out the wiring properly sorry. But it looks like your pdb does output 5v.
    So just hook up +- up to the motor rail.

5. ryandevine16

ryandevine16 New Member

I have currently (sorry the picture is the best i could get) from the PDB the 5V +- connected to the flight controller on the ESC rail +- rail. When I power this on I get no power to the PDB. It does work when I power the FC from the computer. Does this mean I fried the FC?

6. mozquito1

If you can access betaflight/cleanflight through USB then all is fine.
    But the soldering doesn't look to good maybe Reflow the solder joints.
    Sorry but if your not to good at soldering then it would be better to use servo pins.
    Practice on some old bits of wire n things.
    Any broke electrical goods or radio. Rip it apart & unsolder & solder. Anything to practice. But yeah definitely Reflow them, the 5v on the pdb looks dry & the ground on the fcb looks the same. But if you can't open the program then it's knackered.
    Do you have the standalone betaflight yet as chrome, is or has in some areas scrapped apps including cleanflight/betaflight. So you will eventually have to download it off github. Cleanflight haven't got one yet.
    BLheli has one but only for Mac & Linux.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  7. ryandevine16

ryandevine16 New Member

OK. Thanks for the help. Will rework what I have done. Keep you posted.