First RTF Quad?

Discussion in 'Ready to Fly Quads' started by yttocs, Aug 29, 2016.

1. yttocs

yttocs New Member

Hey guys,

Looking to purchase a cheap quad to mess around with. Was hoping to get pointed in the right direction so I don't end up with a dud.
    It is actually my 6 year old that wants one. He saw one of those Sky Walkers recently and thinks that is what he wants. Are they any good or are there better for similar money? I like the idea that it has a cage around it, giving it some protection. I'm sure it restricts some performance due to added weight, although maybe that is a good thing for him.

Currently my only experience with RC flying is a Syma S107 copter. Are these little quads more or less easy to fly? My son is able to fly the S107 a bit, although needs to work on his throttle control.
    Currently we have only flown indoors. Something that can fly indoors, and outdoors on calm days, would be great. No need for a camera at this point.

In the bit of reading I've done on this site, I see lots of mention for the Syma X5C. Is that a better starting unit than something like the Sky Walker? I'm open to all recommendations.
    Suggestions on where to buy from are appreciated as well. Amazon? eBay? I'm from Canada.

2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Sky Walker

3. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

I concur. the Syma X5 is too big for indoor and unflyable outside in anything over a 5 mph wind.

4. yttocs

yttocs New Member

Thanks for the replies. Is there a recommended place to buy from? I came across xheli.com. Also, there seem to be several on eBay, mostly from sellers in China of course.
    I'm assuming it is the 1306 model I should be looking at? Is there a specific brand I am looking for...it seems like there might be a few different ones...not sure if they are all the same or if some are cheap clones. Even xheli appears to have two models...one called the Sky Walker, and then another called a Hero Sky Matrix that looks the same.

5. birdman316

birdman316 New Member

have you considered the syma x11? its a palm sized bird that is perfect for indoors as well as outdoor flying..
    being that its so small you might consider keeping it fairly close when outside..
    theres also a x11c model with built-in camera...

6. yttocs

yttocs New Member

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. We were just at Costco on the weekend and they have the Syma D63 Sky Thunder...mini quad with cage. Wonder how that would compare.

7. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

8. Gabriel Yee

Gabriel Yee Well-Known Member

Personally I found the best option for a beginner is the Parrot AR drone 2.0. You can read my personal review of it right here.

9. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

I little out of the price range for his intended use, me thinks

10. Gabriel Yee

Gabriel Yee Well-Known Member

In that case then the Syma X5c-1 is a great cheap alternative!
    What do you think?