First DIY Propeller Balance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by irishluck, Oct 17, 2015.

1. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

So this is my first attempt at making a magnetic propeller balance jig.
    Not bad I dont think.

Just need to figure out what to use in the center to keep the propeller tight and what not.
    I tried to use a pen cap but cant get it centered 100% to get glue in there. Any thought?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GJH105775 likes this.
  2. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6 Moderator

I made one that is not magnetic, but similar, it has 4 washers that the steel rod sits on. You should be able to use the prop adapters that come with them to get it close as possible.

3. irishluck

These carbon fiber props that I got didn't come with adapters. I think there a DJI props.

4. GJH105775

Oh haha, good luck with that then, I don't think your balancer will work if the hole does not go all the way through.

5. irishluck

Yeaaaa thats what kinda sux. I think I kind of made something that will work.

At the time I bought these props, the motors I had would only allow these type of props. So of coarse i have like 4 sets of them lol

6. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi if you have an old motor you can use , just remove all the workings then put motor back together and use this to balance the props

HDtallrider likes this.
  7. irishluck

I do, but the motor shaft is bent lol
    Actually need to make a thread for my first major crash lol

Had to get hobbyking to pay for my quadcopter cause of the battery. brand new battery failed in midair and crashed my x666 to the ground

GJH105775 likes this.
  8. GJH105775

They actually paid for your quad? That is a first hahahaha.

9. irishluck

Oh yea.

I bought a brand new 5000mAh turnigy battery. Was flying it for about 5 minutes about 50ft up and I noticed my lights were cutting out and as I was
    thinking I need to land it, the battery started smoking and lost all power which crashed to the ground. I took the battery off just in time as it caught fire.

My quad suffered a busted motor, broken motor mount, battery and all the props. Barely missed a car too lol

I had to talk to 3 different people to get my items replaced. But they replaced it all. After 3 hours of talking to them they finally replaced it all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GJH105775 likes this.
  10. GJH105775

Hahaha, the pictures are probably what did it haha. They ask for a video, and did the parts come from them?

11. irishluck

Yea all the parts I originally bought from them. They tried asking for a video, told them to let me get right on building that time machine so I could go back and record it lol.

They tried to play the game with me too. "Well we need to know your complete setup to make sure your parts were compatible"
    I laid it into them after that. Threatened to file a complaint with the Bureau of Consumer Protection lol

GJH105775 likes this.
  12. GJH105775

Hahahahaha, how stupid they think you were xD, unless they thought you did not look at the C rate hahah.

13. irishluck

lol right!
    And on top of that Im going to school for my associates in electronics technology. So as far as voltages and currents go, i know how they work lol

GJH105775 likes this.
  14. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi mate your 666 fared better then mine did , I needed 2 arms, 2 motors mounts, top plate props that came down from 150 feet

15. irishluck

150ft a bit high lol

Luckily the only thing on my frame that broke was the motor mount and landing gear.

That arm that looks bent isn't bent at all, the adjusting screw let it move

16. HDtallrider

HDtallrider Well-Known Member

Sometimes you're so smart you're scary........:)
    You know you can buy a magnetic prop balancer for $6.00? DuBro has shafts for DJI props to use with their balancer. Just sayin'..........;)

17. irishluck

Very true except from the reviews I have read on them being that the things the hold the prop on the shaft are not balanced.
    Plus I like to make things lol

18. HDtallrider

Gotcha....... That's half the fun

19. irishluck

:D That's how I got into building the quads. Anyone can go out and buy a quadcopter, but a lot more fun to build them!

20. HDtallrider

It is indeed. Actually, I like the building part even more than flying. However. I do buy, rather than build, tools......;)