Drone Registering

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Matto_Catto, May 22, 2018.

1. Matto_Catto

Matto_Catto Member

Hello everyone! I am very new to drone's as I have never owned one (do the cheap toy ones like Sky Viper count?). So, I did my research, I found a nice drone to start with called the DJI Spark. I travel a lot and use cameras so I figured why not get more angles. I am buying the fly more kit as well because the battery life isn't very long. Anyway, I discovered something that drones over 0.55 pounds need to be registered with the FAA. So, how long does this take? I am aware of the 5$ fee that I will need to pay (recreational use, not commercial). Do I just type the info in the box and then poof I'm good to go or what?

2. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

You will need to wait until you know the serial number on your Spark, but then you can have your number & a registration card to print within minutes.

Welcome the forum & the world of unmanned flight.

3. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

If the serial number come to the UK then I would put it on but have it coverd with tape. Only ppl that warrant it get to see it.
    You maybe in a park one day & the local nut job who likes to fly over airports see's your number. Or a neighbour who doesn't like your hobby but wants you to get into trouble. It may not happen to you but identity theft happens everyday.
    I got a letter one day about 15 years ago saying I had books that where twenty somthing days overdue. I asked the wife had she used my library card that I hadn't seen for the previous 5 years. The answer was no. Eleven books in all at a cost of £270 which they tried to bill me for.
    Most ppl would think who would steal or acquire someone's library card, but there you go. It was probably thrown out by accident & some college gimp who didn't want to pay for his education got free books. If I can remember someone's 11 digit mobile number then some serial number will be a sinch. I just think its open to abuse from the start.
    The legit safe ppl will put them on,
    the nutters won't. So why bother.
    Oh, the free money.

4. mozquito1

I would fly my 130's at the park, 120g
    While my 5" I would fly in the middle of nowhere as usual. 226g in half a pound.
    An average football Weighs twice as much & can't be controlled once it leaves your foot. Or a golf ball reaching speeds of 80mph into my friends mouth as we turned a corner onto the sports field.
    14 teeth he lost & my memory is scarred for life. Why not just build into the fcb's
    Where they don't go over 400' or let ppl fly near airports. I'd rather pay for that on the price of the board than a useless serial number that's open to abuse.

5. Matto_Catto

Matto_Catto Member

Got it, than thank you!
    I will be sure to cover the serial number, but I believe the serial number is in the battery compartment.

6. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

It's in the battery compartment and also on the box that Sparky comes in. Have you done the research on flight restrictions before you order the Spark? The DJI Nazis have restrictions in the software so that you are unable to fly within a certain distance of airports etc. (no-fly zone). Some complain that they have to travel quite a distance just to fly, I think there's about 10 square feet in all of the State of Florida that you can fly in

mozquito1 likes this.
  7. Matto_Catto

Matto_Catto Member

Yes I have read the restrictions. Dont fly 5 miles within an airport, do not fly over stadiums, do not fly over people, call the ATC in advance of you are going to be flying within 5 miles of it.

8. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

I think what RENOV8R is suggesting is that DJI tends to be more restrictive than the FAA.

mozquito1 likes this.
  9. Matto_Catto

Matto_Catto Member

Then that I do not know, o_Ounfortunately....

10. Matto_Catto

Matto_Catto Member

*just to let you guys know: I DO NOT have my drone yet*

11. Matto_Catto

Matto_Catto Member

Where can i read these restrictions?

12. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

On your cell phone or tablet mounted to the controller after you buy the Spark.

13. mozquito1

& they want a bigger (biggest) piece of the pie. Try to slip there ideas & rules. FAA Charging money when ther is no need. Yeah you get it back but its a big fiddle as there is a few ppl on here who thought they had done it but wasn't the right website & got ripped oaf.
    Here in the UK we have a thing called your national insurance number.
    Dont know if it is the same across the water but why not just have this on it.
    More of am incentive not to lose it.
    If you're going to gonna misuse my ID you may aswell commit a federal crime aswell. As long as your phone is on you to prove where you where, along with all the cameras everywhere.
    Let's face it they know where we are.
    But with crossfire it may get tricky.
    40km is far, toooooooo far I think & I've seen kit go 56km out & 56 back on YT
    There is one video & he was prosecuted for it he was about 7miles out & he says he lost all communication with it & failsafe failed.o_O I reckon he knew exactly what was going on. It did look like it was coasting around 45-50mph on maybe an altimeter or somthing, this is about 10 years ago by the way, but just as his 1.5m plane was about 100m or so from the bridge & head height of pedestrians & traffic. You could see there was someone in control. Literally 2 seconds faster it would have killed a van driver after chopping a head clean off.

I can build & fly a drone but still can't suss out how to post a poxy link :po_O
    I think even old HaL81 posted a link or two. He's probably flying better than me the old coot. All that spare time & big open spaces.

14. ol'Dawg

ol'Dawg Member

Neighbor got a Spark and couldn't fly it because DJI says we are in a restricted area. There is an old grass airfield that has grown up in to scrub brush about a mile down the road, alas that's the restriction. He returned the spark.

KentA likes this.