Down draft

Discussion in 'Newb Guides' started by RcHexy1991, Dec 3, 2017.

1. RcHexy1991

RcHexy1991 Active Member

How much down draft do motors produce? What I mean when I say that is if I stood 2 ft in front and underneath a drone would I feel a breeze?

2. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for 45 years

Depends upon a lot of factors, primarily the type of quad (lightweight toy vs a much heavier racer), the type of props used
    (larger props spinning slower vs smaller props spinning faster, also the prop's pitch too) but generally speaking YES you WILL feel a breeze, especially underneath it, but not so much the further away (in front of, beside, or behind it) you are from it.

3. RcHexy1991

RcHexy1991 Active Member

I have a tarot t960 with 5008 340 kv motors with 18 in props. Where will the turbulence be highest? Also if I'm in between two arms 2 inches outside of props would I experience a lot of turbulence

4. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Your question has no point. You should be at a minimum, a few metres away with spectators (here in Canada) 70 metres. A T960 spinning 18" blades is not anything to take for granted, it will easily dismember major body parts.

5. RcHexy1991

RcHexy1991 Active Member

Well I'm trying to attach something to a mount and I have to avoid the turbulence of the motors so I'm trying to find the optimal location to place my item on the mount. Keep in mind that it's a underneath mount. At this point I have it 2 inches or 5.08 cm past the propellers.

6. RENOV8R

Hmmmm................and what would this "item" be?

7. RcHexy1991

RcHexy1991 Active Member

A spray bottle

8. RENOV8R

Ah, I see. So you're trying to determine the best location of the water bottle for maximum dispersion of the fluid? I think a water sprinkler would be a much more effective way of watering your garden, just not nearly as much fun hahaha

9. RcHexy1991

RcHexy1991 Active Member

Yes exactly. I'm trying to find a location to place the sprayer so the turbulence of the motors does not affect the spray pattern or blow the water in a different direction.

10. RENOV8R

Well, this is not a typical app for a quadcopter so I would say it's just a matter of experimentation to determine if this is feasible. However if this is for some type of commercial application, there are commercial drones available for this specifically (ie crop dusting) but if memory serves me correctly, they're in the $7,000-$8,000 range

11. RcHexy1991

RcHexy1991 Active Member

This is for a senior design project. I'm just curious to know how far out I have to have sprayer for the sprayer to not be effected by turbulence of the motors. I already have the sprayer close to the drone but it is about 2 ft away from body, but only about 3 inches lower than the arms.